Fly Tying
AndyG

Fly Tying Hook Chart

I need your help.

My problem is that I am attempting to find a Hook Chart that has the hook 'pictured' full size. Have bought out a supply of fly tying hooks that have no size on the boxes. And now need a 'chart' to be able to compare the hook to a 'picture' of the size. Can guess at this, yet would like to know of a certain what I am working with. Especially the smaller hooks.

Have looked on the Internet, yet the charts that are there have the brand name and the comparable brands with their number, but only the numbers.

Have Fly Tying books, yet the same problem, there are numbers only.

Would you know of such a chart?

Thank you for your help in this matter.

AndyG

Good Day,

Griffin enterprises sells a small plastic "chart" that mounts on most vises. covers a range of hook gapes form 16 - 8 and also has a hackle guage on it.

Steelie

If you don't have quick access to a Griffin gauge....

Check the Du Bois gauge at the bottom of this page.

It's cheap, and it just might do the job.

Bugsy:

Thanks for the link. I've been looking for one of those charts also.

Charlie

andy,

todays hooks are quite different from one another...in ahort a #14 for one company can be a #16 or 18 for another...there is not a standardized chart that i know of that has all the hooks available now...

so if you do find one remeber that whatever the unknown hook is you'll match it up to the chart and it'll say that it is a #x according to that particular chart...

if you're worried about sizing hackles or such you may find that prorportions for those flies are much more important...that is if you're trying to tie a classic catskil style dryfly the hackles would be 1.5x the hook gap...whatever the gap is...

if you're getting into commercial tying then yes you need scales and guides so all your flies are cosistant...if for yourself then there is much leeway

good luck

ted

Hi Andy,

Ted's right, hook sizes are all over the place; especially after reaching/going past size #14. I have a hook/hackle gage I sell and use when I have a hook in which I'm in doubt. Email me your address and I'll send you one. Then you can send me whatever you think my effort is worth - dollars, flies, whatever. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

[email protected]

wow thanks for the link bugsy! ive been looking for an online true-to-life hackle gauge/hook guage. i saw one at bass pro shops, but i didnt want to spend 4 dollars on it!

haha i just printed it out, laminated it with scotch tape, and then taped it to a piece of cardboard. i want to put a post under the hackle guage portion of it, so i left a notch sticking out to accomadate it. what thickness should this post be, and where exactly should i place it?

IPB Image

i want to put a post under the hackle guage portion of it, so i left a notch sticking out to accomadate it. what thickness should this post be, and where exactly should i place it?

Good question :huh:

I think I'd insert a thumbtack (the old style metal tack) through the bottom. I'm guessing it should be positioned very close to the edge of the paper. Hit the point with a file and/or superglue a small glass or plastic bead on the point to keep from getting jabbed. Should work...I think.

well i took a size 4 hook and poked the point at the edge of the paper, slid it alll the way thru till the shank was verticle, superglued it in place there, then i clipped the hook bend off flush with the cardboard underneath, and i clipped the eye off the hook cuz it was in the way. turned out nice.