Fly Tying
VERN-O

Veli auti style ??

Can someone explain to me what this means for tying legs??

Veli auti style

I googled it, and nothing came up that was in English....thanks in advance

I'll try to explain, hopefully you will understand my bad english :)

What you need is a good quality Golden Pheasant tails feather. This is normaly the main reasson why people won'tget this to work, the feather they are trying it on aren't good enough.

What you want is to chose a fiber from somewhere in the middle of the feather, hold it at a 90degrees angle from the quill and lean it slightly away from it pluck it straight out. Don't pull it down or up, just pluck it out at stright. The part on the fibers that was plucked from the leg will be the fore leg.

One some fibers you won't succees because the tension wasn't good enough, but once you get the hang of it you will be plucking legs like nothing :)

Hope this helps

Ulf

I got it.....so you want that slightly curled look

what does Veli auti translate to in English?

thanks Uffe!!!!...great flies by the way!!!!

Thanks Vern-O! Let me know if you run into any more problems.

I have now idea what it translates to, Veli Auti is finish. And if I am not mistaken it's the name of the guy that "invented" this technique may years ago :)

Ulf

Veli (first name) Autti (last name) is the man who has invented the technique. It's funny that we Finns have known this technique for years. It seems to be quite "hot" abroad. Anyway Veli is grand old man what comes to fly fishing and tying: he is propably the most famous flyfisher here in Finland. I've met him several times and he has told me that the best material for his technique is hen pheasant tail fibers (the fibers found about 5-8 cm counted from the top of the tail). UffePuffe described the technique correctly.

Anyway, I think his technique is the best and fastest way to tie realistic legs for fishing larvaes and nymphs.

Ari-Heikki

Thanks Ari-Heikki, I first saw this technique in Olivier Edwards Hydrophyche larva several years ago but did start using it myself until about two years back. I agree with you, it's one of the best ways to create very realistic looking legs on fishable flies.

Ulf

P.S. See you in Denmark in 57 days :)

Hi Ulf and Ari, Thank you for anwering the question. I briefly searched the internet for an answer and didn't find it. I also learned this technique from Oliver Edwards book, and it's a great one.

Graham

Arska is Veli on his way to Simo Lumme status? (I've been researching Simo quite a bit lately).....Do you have any links to Veli's flies, so that I can see his work?

Arska is Veli on his way to Simo Lumme status? (I've been researching Simo quite a bit lately).....Do you have any links to Veli's flies, so that I can see his work?

Simo was famous flyfisher here in Finland. His SL-pupae and Nalle Puh (Winnie the Pooh) -dry fly are must in every fly box here. I tried to google Veli's flies but couldn't find any, sorry!

Arska

the stuff I've read about Simmo is pretty interesting....great contributor to the world of fly tying....and I love the nalle Puh.......can't wait to actually fish one this spring

IPB Image

Here is picture of larvaes with Veli Autti -legs. Notice also Nalle Puh (Winnie the Pooh) on the left. I picked one loose fibre from the hen pheasant tail.

Ari-Heikki

I just thumbed through Oliver Edwards book Fly Tyers Masterclass, thinking that is where I had seen the leg technique before, but I couldn't find it? Maybe it was one of Olie's DVD's? Maybe I'm wrong? Anyway, it's a great technique and I love the book.

Graham

I just thumbed through Oliver Edwards book Fly Tyers Masterclass, thinking that is where I had seen the leg technique before, but I couldn't find it? Maybe it was one of Olie's DVD's? Maybe I'm wrong? Anyway, it's a great technique and I love the book.

Graham

Yes it might be in one of Oliver's DVD's.

Arska