Fly Tying
CapeBSalar

Officially a Trout Bum

A few things that are helpful to keep in mind are that losing a job is only rarely a reflection on yourself, and most people have been through it at one time or another.

My story I was a High School teacher at a smallish Catholic Vocational school I taught history and English to the Senior class and had two sophomore classes. The school was set up so that the Seniors would take their second semester as Co-op. So I went from teaching seven classes a day to two. So right after I submitted my grades before Christmas break I got fired. In reality it was a simple financial move on the part of the school - they replaced a full-time teacher with a sub (a nun no less.) They however went out of their way to make it personal though, since otherwise it would have been a violation of the contract. Which eventually it was ruled to be - took several months but I got the remainder of my salary after a successful suit (having several buddies in law school at the time paid off for them too since it made a nice thesis paper.

Before that I was throughly depressed because I thought for certain that no one would hire me. It was exactly the opposite every principal I interviewed with after that saw the move for what it was and ignored it. Most employers know how tyhe world works and are far more interested in their future than your past.

The other trick I've learned from multiple career changes is that you should focus on your skills rather than your experience. 50 years experience doing "X" is meaningless if an employer wants you to do "Y." The fact that you are flexible adaptable, don't have any major personality issues (trust me thats huge) are likely far more important, because even with a lot of experience most employers want you to do things there way anyhow.

Sorry to hear about your job. This type of thing can seem devastating when it happens.

I don't know what kind of severance they gave you, but I would suggest you get on the EI bandwagon as soon as you can to get some revenue stream going, so you can at least do some planning with respect to finances in/money out.

I suggest that your priority is now to find another job and source of income. This has just become your new job; finding a replacement job. Get your resume up to date. Go to the Library if there's one handy ; look thru the newspaper want ads. Visit www. CareerBeacon.com and look for similar jobs to the one you had or others that seem interesting. They have listings in all the Maritime Provinces, as well as across Canada, as I recall. Start sending out resumes.

If you have the opportunity to get interviewed for a job, take it ; even if you're not that interested in a job. Use it as an opportunity to hone your interviewing skills. Do some research on the job intervie processs and get some practice being interviewed. I suggest you spend some time each day ( Mon-Fri.) actively seeking for work.

Start networking. Get the word out. Friends, business associates ( present & former) , people you know at church, fishing club, etc. ;whatever. You'll never know who may know of a job that you just came up, or might be coming up soon that you might have a shot at getting. HR professionals say that the majority of jobs never get posted or advertised. Here's two examples.

I was "Downsized" about 10 years ago after almost 21 years of service; 4 days before I was to turn 50.

In my case I contacted a lot of people I had dealings with ASAP after losing my job. One fellow that used to work for me I contacted the day after I was downsized. We had to lay him off about 2 years earlier due to a downturn in our business, and he was in the same position that you were in; young guy with a small family. He was a good guy and a hard worker. At the time I made some calls to some people in my industry and heard about a recently diagnosed health problem with a worker creating opening with one of my company's competitors. I gave him this information and he applied and got the job. This job was filled ( by him) before it got posted. He had to move from Moncton to Halifax to take the job. Subsequently, he left this job and took another with another company in Halifax in the same field.

Two days after me calling him, he called me back to sat he forwarded my name to one of the contractors that did work with his firm. He heard they might be thinking of getting an individual to do the kind of work I did with my former employer. They contacted me a day later and I sent them a resume, followed a few weeks later by a preliminary interview with one of their field people; then a final interview with the company owner about a month later. I was working again a few days later. This job didn't get posted or advertised either. I was out of work a few days short of 2 months.

Networking worked; both for him and me.

Good luck. Don't get discouraged.

Thanks guys, all great advice.

I got another 2 worried phone calls from employees today, so that's a total of 3 in one day. They were told I resigned and wouldn't be back. They knew something was fishy. They had such nice and sincere things to say to me and one lady left a voicemail that made my wife cry it was that sweet. You know, I don't care what the boss liked or didn't like, It's the people/employees that matter, and it seems that some of them really did care and appreciate what I did for them. That's satisfaction enough for me.

Thanks again for all the stories, some real hard ones, but I guess every bump is a learning opportunity.

Hear hear!!! You are respected by your subordinates and peers, and can hold your head with pride. That is what really matters.

As to putting bread on the table, I think that with your attitude that will happen.

Good luck from me.

That's a drag Damian as I know what you went through to get the job. I get laid off every year. I know this and try to prepare for it. Some years though were unexpected and were a long wait for E.I.

At first it is great, like a holiday, but it soon becomes boring, and you miss the whole work thing. Having fly tying as a hobby helps the days go by, and I am sure spending time with the girls and Melisa will be great.

Last year about 3 and 1/2 weeks before the end of season I was shut down for about 2 weeks unexpectedly. There were all good tides as the fall daylight is limited. After about a week of real nice weather and knowing I could of been worming making money. Wrapping a few loose ends up and sitting pretty for the winter. I messed up and got myself in trouble. It cost me a bundle and I was a bit depressed and couldn't bring myself to finnish the last few days when I was finally called back.

I filed for E.I. late as when I snapped out of it there was about a week left in the season but was shut down. I held off as long as I could, but had to go to welfare. My E.I. claim was back dated to my last day of work, and a couple of other mistakes were made.

On the phone welfare told me that as I was single I was only eligible for $500.00, which at the time just about enough to keep my head above water. When I went there I was given a $50.00 food voucher. This was 14 days after I had made the appointment, another mix up. I had to sign a piece of paper saying that when my E.I. finally came through I would pay back the welfare.

5 days after I got the food voucher I got a cheque in the mail for $350.00. Not enough to do too much with. I went directly to the welfare and they told me that's all I was entitled to because I had received a food voucher. Worked during the month, which was untrue. then they told me that I had applied in the middle of the month and a couple other cockamamie stories through a little hole in a piece of shatterproof glass.

It made me sick and I walked out of the office and almost threw up. I cried the blues to my landlady, and she is great, and a few bill collectors which didn't seem to understand. I bought some food and payed a bit here and there and thought I should have a drink. Started smoking again and even rolled butts. Hard times in the Maritimes

My E.I. finally came through and as it was back dated I received a few checks at once. All with a small weekly deduction to repay the welfare. I am still paying it back and scraping by. I am so glad that I like to fish and had put a few in the freezer. It was a lesson well learned and I plan to get thing squared away and be well prepared for next winter. Hang in there!!

If you have the opportunity to get interviewed for a job, take it ; even if you're not that interested in a job. Use it as an opportunity to hone your interviewing skills. Do some research on the job intervie processs and get some practice being interviewed. I suggest you spend some time each day ( Mon-Fri.) actively seeking for work.

As someone currently on unemployment I'll second that advice.... but warn you as well that if you are offered a job and turn it down, your unemployment checks will be stopped. The thing to do if you get into a process that you're not interested in.... or only did to get contacts for unemployment.... is "withdraw from consideration" before the job is offered.

The other thing I've done to keep myself from getting too comfortable with being Mr. Mom is set up a few rules... shave every day but Saturday. No beer during the day. No televison unless I'm folding laundry. Stuff like that. The shave thing, surprisingly, really keeps me on track and serves as a reminder that I need to be serious about this.

I recently lost my job on January 26th. I should have read the writing on the wall but sometimes you just don't catch it. This year alone, we had laid off 5 managers and several floor workers. They didn't replace those positions either.

Then I got the call in and they stated that they no longer needed my services.

I should have seen it coming and prepared myself for it but I guess I was too busy too notice. I received a small severance check and was on my way.

I am in a Christian Fly Fishing Group at my church and the following Monday, we had a meeting. I found it difficult to tell everybody what the situation was but I managed to do it. Andy, our fearless leader then pointed to a new guy who's name was Mike. Mike held the logistics manager position 3 years ago. We had the exact same position, with the exact same company. We talked for awhile and allowed me to get a grip on the situation and find peace in it all.

The funny thing is that Mike doesn't fly fish. Heck, he doesn't even fish. Andy had just felt an overwhelming urge to invite him and he went and picked him up from his house and brought him along. Mike will probably never come to another meeting again.

Anyways, using Mike as a contact, I managed to get offered a job where he works. Last week when I went down to the Gunny and was on my way home, I checked my voice mails and another company wanted to call me in for an interview.

To make a long story short, I ended up getting a warehouse manager position with the second company. What makes it even better is that I have complete control over the warehouse, logistics, inventory, and staff. Much more responsibility than what I had at my previous company.

It's absolutely great.

So my point is, God will close doors and he will also open doors and the new doors that open may just be much better than the one he closes.

Good luck and remember, God will never put something in your path that you can't handle.

15 more minutes and Andy is on his way. Off to the Gunny again. I love that river.

It's harsh to say, but, no whiners! Been there, had that happen...twice! Both times because my morals and integrity wouldn't let me break laws or moral grounds. Had my own company for four years...lost it to...I was a small fish in a big pond. Now there's an entire industry doing what I pioneered. It stinks.

Did a very harsh self-assessment and didn't like what I saw, and changed it. I realized there is what I want there to be and then there is reality. Once I centered myself in reality and matched that with my vision and goals, I've been making steady good progre$$ ever since. And, I LOVE what I do and I'm happy!

I even get to pay cash for an occasional $2600 custom bamboo rod and can afford it.........

There's a quote from one of those inspirational speakers that really hit home with me but I can't recall the exact quote. I'll post it here later when I find it. It made a HUGE difference in my outlook on my future.

There's an opportunity right around the corner, don't miss it!