Fly Tying
DrLogik

Head Cement Preferences

Head Cement Preferences  

479 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Here's what makes me mad. I don't get carded anymore when buying the stuff. So I will use the self check out line at the Home Depot just to set of the teller alert to make sure I am 18. The teller just looks over and says, go ahead hun, or that's okay darling. You get grey and I guess they see you as harmless:). It won't be long before they ask me, after buying a quart of lacquer, do you need help with that out to the car?

I probably will:)

Being sick of having loads of flies hanging around waiting for the heads to dry, and meanwhile attracting every mote of dust within 5 mile. I started to use UV cure resin. The product I use now is Diamond Hard or Diamond Fine from Deer Creek. It is the only one I've found that doesn't dry with a tacky film. Customers like a nice shiny head, This is the fastest way I've found to produce them.

Cheers,

C.

Ive been using zap a gap for all of my flies for the last few years now, but im starting to go back to some head cements as I try to teach some of my friends how to tie flies. Head cement is more forgiving to beginners.

I usually do not use anything on my trout flies, but just commercial stuff like Loon when I do. I use Sally's on my steelhead flies.

Here's what makes me mad. I don't get carded anymore when buying the stuff. So I will use the self check out line at the Home Depot just to set of the teller alert to make sure I am 18. The teller just looks over and says, go ahead hun, or that's okay darling. You get grey and I guess they see you as harmless:). It won't be long before they ask me, after buying a quart of lacquer, do you need help with that out to the car? I probably will:)

Theo, if your self-esteem is suffering, it might help to wear dark wrap-around glasses and a wide-brimmed fedora pulled down over your face. Put on a trench coat with the collar turned up and try to look shifty and extremely nervous at the register. You'll run the risk of being handcuffed and hauled off by the Pree-vert squad and every other law enforcement agency within 100 miles, but I'll guarantee you'll get carded. Probably fingerprinted and photographed as well.

I too use several different products, it depends on what type of fly I am tying though. For dry flies, I try to use superglue for head cement, because you can use just a little bit, which doesn't add weight and works very well. For wet flies or nymphs I use either Sally Hansen's products or the CCG blue light product. I use the CCG anytime I am adding eyes that are not tied to the hook, the 'googly' eyes....when using bead chain, or just bead head, Sally is fine for me. I have tried the products that are specifically marketed for fly tiers, Hard as Hull, Flexament, etc, but they seem to dry out too fast in the bottle, thus requiring thinning, or discarding if it is too dry.....but Sally Hansen's products are usually 2 bucks or less at the local WM and do a find job.

Also, for anyone who uses nail polish, and have had it get thick and gooey...well, I finally found, on eBay, a fingernail polish thinner...specially designed for nail polish..and it works great...The name of this product is:

2808546641674040_1.jpg

NailTek Extend

And as stated, it works great. A little bit goes a long way, and a bottle only costs about $6 on eBay. It will save throwing out all that old, gooey, semi-dry, nail polish.

As I know fish is very sensitive to odors. It could fill a single molecule of substances from long distance.

So, different unnatural smelly solvents like acetone or similar used in the nail polishes could probably decrease the biting rate.

Is somebody has experience in the using of FISH GLUE or other natural adhesives?

Thank you

I use Sally Hansen's for most flies, but for hairwings I switched to cyanoacrylate superglue after too many of the wings pulled out. Superglue penetrates better and locks the hairs in much more firmly, I find. I used to use Zap-A-Gap brand, because that is what most fly shops carry, but it always dried out before I used even half the bottle. I find that the Loctite superglues that you can get at Home Depot and Lowes cost less, and have a better bottle design that makes application easier and helps the contents of the bottle last a lot longer. They also come in a range of thicknesses from very thin to "control gel" for different uses.

I have used various commercial head cements over the years but now use Sally Hansen exclusively.

John