Fly Tying
Din

1st Clousers and Conehead W. Buggers

Hi all,

Well Im hoping that my clousers look ok...tied up about 20 or so and they all look the same...didnt have my cam so I just kept going!! Tied in white/green; white/tan

IPB Image

Tied up a couple conehead buggers with the materials I had...Used grizzly hackle for the tails. Do you think these would produce?? Used black for one and green chenile.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Thanks everyone.

they'll do the deed.

There's a thread about coneheads from a few days ago, containing some suggestions for "hiding" the thread wraps behind the cone. In the end, I doubt if the fish care whether they can see the thread or not. Those two patterns in various colors will catch any fish that swims, I think. I wouldn't leave home without some of each.

They look like they would work to me. I have used the coneheads before on smallies and they tear them up. I have been trying to find a step by step to tie them. How did you go about it?

Din, since you asked, I noticed the way you tied in the white bucktail is unconventional. It appears you tied it in at the head, then advanced the thread to the middle of the hook shank, and then tied the bucktail down at mid-hook shank, which left a gap between this tie-in point and the eyes. A more typical way to tie it is to tie the white bucktail in at the head (just as you've done), then hold the bucktail over the eyes while you start to make thread wraps immediately behind the eyes. That way you don't end up with a gap between the thread wraps behind the eyes and the eyes themselves.

Also, many believe that Clousers are most effective when they're tied quite sparsely. For the color combination you've chosen for this one, I typically tie in the white bucktail using maybe a 3rd of the amount you've used, then flip the hook over and tie in another bunch of white bucktail also about a 3rd. I would then tie in the flash material before tying in the olive bucktail. I tie in an amount of olive bucktail that is significantly less than the amount of white bucktail I've used -- I think this results in a more balanced appearance, as I believe the olive bucktail should merely suggest the upper outline of the top of a baitfish. Just my .02 anyway, since I tie and use a lot of Clousers and you asked.

-- Mike

Hairstacker, thanks for tips. I will give them a whirl and see how it turns out. U have it right how I tied in the bucktail. THe reason I did it was so I could get the thread in place then have a easier verticle pull on the bucktail(if that makes sense). A couple of the ones I tied I used a ridiculus amount of material, and this one is probably the least that I had used, so I will still try to eliminate some and see how it turns out.

THanks again

That clouser is a bit unconventional but it looks good enough to catch fish. If you are really into clousers, I highly recommend Bob Clouser's video. I have been watching it lately and my clousers have improve a lot

Nice flies

Din, why were you seeking an "easier vertical pull"? Are you having a problem with your thread breaking? If so, try using Danville Flat Waxed Nylon -- it is plenty strong and lays down nice and flat for a smooth head. I and many others haven't found anything better for tying Clousers.

-- Mike

Din,

What kind of hackle is that on the conehead? There is a lot of feather there; are those you are using exceptionally thick and webby or did you overtie feather wraps you'd laid down before?

Thanks,

Ray

"sparseness" of clousers:

the fly pictured IS sparsely dressed for normal conditions in my area.... I think there is certainly a relation between water clarity / visibility and the most effective dressing. In murky water or low light (or both), I think there should be some substance to the fly. As an impressionistic pattern, the fish still must be able to sense the presence of the fly... in most places I've fished, a bucktail dressed with eleven strands of hair would be useless. If the water has good visibility, then perhaps it could be dressed down. It's all a matter of finding what works and having confidence in it. Several places I've fished recently have dingy water... a white/chartreuse clouser dressed "full" disappear a foot below the surface... but I've caught fish with them.

Harold, I was using grizzley hackle. For some reason I couldnt get the individual fibres to seperate when I wrapped it. I did three full turns at the head then tied it off. I also used the grizzley for the tail, b/c I didn't have any maribou feathers.

Mike, I wasn't having problems with the thread breaking. But now I see, as ppl have pointed out, the get rid of the gap b/w the eyes and bucktail, and I think that should eliminate the problem.

Thanks

Smokinprice, Sorry I missed ur question.

I just went for it. Looked at a normal wooly bugger then just thought I'd try throwing a conehead on. The 1st ones I tied w/o coneheads, stunk and fell apart right away, and I have yet to try these out yet. Sorry, that prolly doesnt help!!

Din:

Good flies for first attempts! I tie a fair number of Clouser Minnows, and haven't seen the video Ribs1 mentioned, but have found the book "Clouser's Flies: Tying and Fishing the Fly Patterns of Bob Clouser" (Stackpole, 2006) very helpful. It has good step-by-step descriptions and photos of a lot of his patterns, with great discussions of technique.

The amount of hair you've got on there is close to what I use, perhaps just a bit heavier than mine.

Bill