Fly Tying
critter

looking for Pattern

I have tried for the past 40 minutes and have not found a site with a descrition or good picture of a whiskey fly. Can anyone help me out? I wanted to do this as part of a historical thing for my buddy.

-Critter

for some reason I thought this pattern had fox squirell for a hair wing...maybe that came from a night of too many whiskey's while flying ties, I mean tying flies.

I think the pattern that was tied back in the early 1970s for use at Hanningfield Res. in Essex U.K. went as follows. Hook 8/12 l.s.d.e tied with red or orange d.r.f. floss. butt as floss, body gold or silver scotch tape ribbed with floss, wing , hot orange calf tail or squirrel. hackle dyed red/hot orange cock fibres. Later versions exchanged floss for tying thread- Danvilles 6/0 flour red. and siler/gold tinsel was also used instead of the tape. The name of the originator was I think Albert Whillock (?) who was an artist that drew inspiration for this fly whilst looking through a glass of scotch towards the glow of a coal fire.

John

Arkle is correct, the closest pic was in Twofingerz' post http://www.fliesonline.co.uk/erol.html#1558x2330.

The dressing I use these days is:

Hook: 8 - 12 L/S.

Silk: Red.

Tag: Globrite floss shade 4. (fluoro red).

Body: as tag.

Rib: Flat gold tinsel.

Hackle: Three turns of long hot orange hen.

Wing: Hot orange Calf tail, Arctic Fox or Marabou.

It's a very effective lure from August to October when the fish are seriously on daphnia.

Critter, seeing that you are from MN, I believe you are looking for the regional pattern called the "Whisky Fly", not the English pattern provided above. If I recall correctly, this pattern is tied with a whole bunch of turkey maribou. It's in the rear of the Humphries & Shogren book. I'll see if I can dig it up.

Found it! I was looking for the wrong book. It is in Shawn Perich's book Fly Fishing the North Country.

Here is the description and receipe, quoted from Perich's book, on page 131:

Whiskey Fly

as tied by Bob Nasby

Tied entirely of wild turkey (hence the name) the Whiskey Fly is consistently deadly on rainbow trout in lakes. You can even fish it just under the surface during the Hex hatch as an emerger. Nasby fishes the fly unweighted, on a full sinking line.

Hook: #6 - #8 wet fly hook

Tail: Wild turkey maribou, about the length of the hook shank

Body: Wild turkey maribou, wrapped around the hook

Collar: Wild turkey maribou, almost as long as the hook

Head: One copper or black bead

Notes: To make the body, tie in a clump of maribou ahead of the tail. Twist the maribou to make a dubbing, then wrap forward. You can add a couple of strands of Krystal Flash to the tail

Collars, I see you tie with the St. Paul Flytyers Club. I'd think someone there knows this pattern. It sounds to me like it's pretty similar, functionally, to the Wendelberg Leach, but "shaggier."

I hope this helps!