Fly Tying
Redwings1

some shrimp

Well...it's been a busy night at the vise. I cranked out three of the five shrimp patterns (four dozen flies this evening) I intend to take to the Keys in May. I still have a Gotcha pattern and a semi-realistic epoxy shrimp pattern before moving on to the crab patterns, clousers, deceivers, tarpon flies, etc... :headbang:

Hope you guys like these :D

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Thanks Steve. They are likely on line someplace, but I do not have a link. The middle flies are missing the final step of epoxy body under the hook, but here is the quick adn dirty recipe:

size 4 saltwater hook upside down in the vice. Using tan (or alternate is pink) thread. Tie in a pinch of light tan calf tail, then four pieces of Krystal Flash, then two barred hackle tips. On top of that tie in the mono eyes followed by another pinch of the calf tail, then wrap the thread tightly up to behind the eyes so the second bit of hair flairs away from the body. Use the thread to slightly build up the head area some then tie in a piece of Mirage Flashabou and wrap the thread to the back of the hook. Wrap the Mirage to the back with four or five evenly spaced wraps and tie off, then build up the tail area with thread some ( I also added a mono loop weed guard for these). The final step will be to form a small epoxy body.

Looks to me like you should have a good trip!!! When to you leave???

Mike,

I didn't forget about the Flats article. I just can't find the magazine. I must have left it at my folk's house.

Maybe one of the members can point you to it.

It was either in Flyfisherman Mag or in American Angler.

January/February 2007 American Angler, Page 30 "The Skinflints Guide to the Florida Keys."

John

post-4245-1173053415_thumb.jpg