Fly Tying

Freshwater Drum...Rough fish game fish

Thanks for the info BDH,

We don't have freshwater drum here on the west coast, we do have a couple varieties of Carp. I always thaught Carp and Drum were in the same family I think they look and are built similar or maybe I am thinking of a different fish. Carp are very bony with lots of little Y shaped bones. Are the Drum bony also?

I seem to remember reading that in some parts of the world Carp are the premier sport fish and even some of the well known fly fisherman consider them a tuff challenge to hook.

Drum are indeed, bony, but are a separte family of fishes....Carp tend to be more bottom feeding, eating the occasional nymph or worm, but the Drum is carnivorous and is more closely related to perches and bass...

Carp are indeed great fun on a lfyrod. They have been refered to as freshwater bonefish, but reach sizes much larger than your typical bonefish! If you have never targeted carp with the flyrod, I encourage you to do so....we havd a rather enlightening discussion on carp..here's the link!

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=935

Chris i have always wondered what the hell a DRUM was now i know thanks for clearin that up for me.

Well if a drum is a sheephead then i have caught a drum and didnt even know it laugh.gif

I have caught them on the au sable below foote damn on softshells before and i have to say they are a VERY STRONG fish. Think the biggest i got down there was around 22".

SD

hell of a good time on a flyrod, Steve.....can't wait for them to move up into the summer holes I fish...they tend to hang in that hole as do the gar and carp.....gonna be a crazy summer!!!!

I catch them like trout , nymphing with a strike indicator. I sometimes use a white jig. I will fish for rough fish in the middle of the summer in warm tailwaters. With a small white jig I can catch big shad, drum, and gar. If you can see them, they usually won't hit. I caught a monster last spring just after a hail storm on a #4 weight rod. They don't fight as good as carp but in the middle of the day, in the middle of the summer...