Fly Tying
letumgo

Simple Semi-Realistic Wings for Fishing Flies

Here is a really simple way to create semi-realistic wings for fishing flies using raffia (swiss straw) and wing burners. You can make all kinds of different types of insect wings by changing the type of burner you use and how you position the material before it is burned. The wings are a lot of fun to make and are dirt cheap (raffia usually only costs about $1.25 US).

Hope someone finds this useful. :D

NOTE - The link below the photo is a two page Adobe PDF file containing step-by-step instructions showing how the wings are made.

Simple_Wings_for_Fishing_Flies__by_RE_Tucker_.pdf

post-4573-1173040515_thumb.jpg

You can get this stuff from just about any fly shop, or most of the on-line suppliers for fly tying materials. If you don't see it listed under "raffia", try searching on the word "swiss". Raffia is also sold under the name "swiss straw". It comes in 14 colors and is very useful for other tying applications (beetle shell backs, wing cases on nymph patterns, crayfish patterns, etc.)

Here is one link to show you what your looking for. James Stockard's Website sells Swiss Straw for $1.35 per card.

http://www.jsflyfishing.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi

Have fun!

:D

Thanks for the step by step. Those wings look really good, gonna have to try some.

Fatman

You can also buy raffia at about any craft store. They might not have it in as many colors as a fly shop but you can buy a large length for cheap.

Sulfernut - I think the color of the raffia was called "cream". I've found that it can also be colored nicely with Sharpie markers or with the artist markers. The cream color is a nice neutral color that works well for wings and shellbacks, etc.

Thanks for the kind words guys. :)

I am glad you like the instructions. I've intended to write them up for many months now, but finally found the time last weekend when cabin-fever was setting in real bad... (Man, I can not wait until Spring...)

Your wings look great and you did a great job on the step-by step instructions.

I've been using Raffia for the wings on some of my caddis patterns. I've always cut the shape of the wings with scissors, I'll have to try using the wing burners.

Thanks for sharing this.

flyangler - The glossiness of the material leads me to believe the raffia I use is synthetic. The natural raffia I've seen tended to be fairly dull (does not sparkle). I'm not 100% positive about this though (sorry).

:)

If it melts instead of burning, it's probably not plant material, I'd guess. Unfortunately, the natural stuff I have is green and the synthetics on hand are black and brown. No great wing colors.

On the up side, I think I still have a few bucks left on the craft store gift certificate. Those places are dangerous.

I like what you have done with the raffia. I have used it in the past but I just cut the wing shap and never twisted them. The twist looks like it adds some meat at the tie in point so the wings don't rip out as easily. Nice job!

Sulfernut - I think the color of the raffia was called "cream". I've found that it can also be colored nicely with Sharpie markers or with the artist markers. The cream color is a nice neutral color that works well for wings and shellbacks, etc.

Thanks for the kind words guys. :)

I am glad you like the instructions. I've intended to write them up for many months now, but finally found the time last weekend when cabin-fever was setting in real bad... (Man, I can not wait until Spring...)

So they take the sharpie well-then you only need one color,correct?

thanks for taking the time to make thisw for no-nothings like me...

Wow! I like that a lot! Guess I now have to buys some wing burners. I've been looking for an excuse.