Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

early season tips or gear

What is you best tip or special gear for early spring Steelhead fishing.

I guess my tip would get yourself a pair of Rag picker gloves

(Wool gloves with no fingers)

what is your tip?

OSD.

Make sure waders have no holes.Water get very cold when you have not had them on for a while and for got to patch them from ealier outing.

Dress occording to the weather.Da!!!!!!!!

tt

"What is you best tip or special gear for early spring Steelhead fishing."

A good wading jacket and a good pair of glasses. A little flask of whiskey is good too, unles you are with Marc or Ralf, then you had better bring the whole bottle!!!!! Riverman

QUOTE (Riverman @ Mar 6 2004, 01:05 PM)
A little flask of whiskey is good too, unles you are with Marc or Ralf, then you had better bring the whole bottle!!!!! Riverman

I think the same holds true for you dry.gif

Bring plenty of flies. If the fish are in thick, many are foul-hooked and need to be broken off. It's nothing to loose 40+ flies in a day. Many of our rivers are underwater forests.

Keep a extra pair of clothes in the car/truck just in case you take a unexpected bath you can change and get back on the water without gettin hypothermia.

SD

I usually have extra clothes in case I do take a dip. Been fortunate, only one dip steelhead fishing. How? I had my wife with me and I was into a pod of fish. Her line was not rigged up, so I told her to come over to where I was and to fish my pod of fish. As I started to back out of the way, the big rock behind me did not move out of my way and my wonderful wife did not say anything like look out for that rock (as she stood right next to it). Needless to say, I went down and got my arm and shoulder wet with water in my waders. Cold as you know what. End of my day.

Florocarbon works well for me in the spring and early fall.

Not really a fishing tip as much as it is a reminder but since early season were probaly talkin steelies for alot of us.

Take the extra mintue or 2 to make sure that the fish is fully revived before releasing it. A few extra minutes holding the fish in the slack water will go a long way to making sure she can swim off and go about procreating to ensure you have more fish reproducing for years to come.

SD

flourocarbon leaders..... be stealthy on the skinny water, keep a low profile, don't cast shadows...... and make sure of every single one of your knots is made correctly and perfect.... if its not, retie. also check your leader for nicks every so often, replace as needed.

steve

STAY AWAY FROM THE BEDS AND FISH THAT ARE IN THE ACT OF SPAWNING!!!!

Basically, just use some common sense.

I feel alot of the responses are great and they help us become more efficient predators, but the steelies should come first. If we want our streams and the fish swimming in those streams to become healthier we need to take a step back sometimes and let Mother Nature be herself and help defend her. I sure we all do this, but it is easy to become overzealous with our fishing.

I understand that all of the steelies aren't spawning at the same time and that fresh fish can enter rivers on a daily basis. If we try to target the fresh run fish in the lower end of the river and leave those fish in the headwaters or any spawning area alone, it can only help.

I am not trying to chastise anybody who enjoys spring steelheading and I am not trying to get anyone to stop spring steelheading. Lord knows I'd be crazy if I did.

I also am not trying to start any arguments about ethics and morals either. Just trying to get everybody to think about whether or not "the glass is half full or half empty" when it comes to springtime steelheading.

When we bring the topic of spring steelheading up and encourage it with tips and techniques, it will start to become an accepted time to pursue them. More and more people will follow in our footsteps. When this happens the glass will quickly become less than half full. But if we use our hearts and minds we can help educate others about the quarry we love so much and how protect and respect the environment where they live. Especially the spring spawning environment.

I know what it's like during salmon season in NY, and would not like that to happen to spring steelheading in any state. Hatchery fish are nice, but there is no comparison to a wild steelhead.

*Fish to Live - Live to fish*

This was just my 2 cents,

Fish-N-Chip

P.S. - The same goes for all fish, not just steelhead.

I don't fish fish that are on beds, if you think i meant that..... but there are some shallow streams that i fish with the bachelor males swimming to and frow (sp). They are quite agressive and at the same time spooky as all hell.

I like fishing drop back holes or holding holes rather than beds any day of the week. The fish there are eating, and much more willing to take a fly.

just my .02

steve

Question, after you puton all those clothes, how the hell do you manage to cast?

Oh yeah, don't forget your sunblock.

lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif

It’s the wind burn that gets me believe it or not YOU GET BURNT

(At least this white boy dose)

OSD.

Spring fishing here can mean high off colored water, many windy days and lots and lots of eager fisherman of all shapes, sizes, and temperments. Some with, ummm, unorthodox techniques. My tip would be, brush up on some deep breathing exercises, yoga, and maybe some of that zen stuff before you go out, it might help keep blood pressure at reasonable levels.

Wader belt! I learned the hard way while floating feet first with the shelf ice on the P.M.

Whoever suggested the change of clothes was spot on. All I had was dress clothes in the car for the next days sales calls but they were dry! My towel was a clean t-shirt!

Sign in to follow this