Fly Tying
Bud Guidry

Match The hatch ( challenge)

i got a nice prize for whomever wins this guys, give it your best shot.

a hint: after catching hundreds of these thru my life , every singleone was the same color. always green above and a yellowish biege below. i think the green is nature camaflage as a baby. they don't turn brown until they are older .

Bud

I pretty much have mine thought out. The only part I can't picture how I'm gonna do is the area of the shell between the front and rear legs(the side of the shell) It's not so much figuring out what or how to make it, it's how I'm gonna tie it on the hook and make it appear like it's attached to the top and bottom of of the shell that's got me flustered. :wallbash:

Hey Bud, I got a bit more coloring done on my turtle. I like to apply the darker colors underneath the lighter colors, especially the back stripes. I think it's starting to look a bit more realistic.

IPB Image

I probably have a couple more hours of work to do on this critter before it's finally done.

Graham i just gotta say it, you amaze me :headbang: i tried doing just a simple semi realistic this week and it came out looking like poo rather than a caddis nymph my flies that imitate nothing in perticular always look good but once i try to duplicate something ive actually seen they look bad every time. if you wouldnt mind could you maybe shoot me a PM with some steps to getting started off right into the wild world of realism?

Hey I just wanted to say hey to everyone on here and wanted to say thanks to Graham again for inspiring me to get back into fly tying. Also I am attempting to emulate Grahams turtle. So far though I still cant get the color right.

Hey dwodyga, Welcome aboard! Glad to see you here, and I'm very much looking forward ot seeing your work. I used close to a dozen different colored Pantone markers as well as clear flexible matte varnish lightly tinted with pigment powders. I like to build up several layers of coloring to try an go for a realistic look, paint on the varnsih as thin as possible, and typically thin it with water, paint it over the foam, hold the foam under a halogen light for about 1 min, then it's dry enough to take some markers to it, then a bit more varnsih, etc... I made the under shell a couple of nights ago, and need to take a new photo of the completed turtle.

Graham

Hey thanks Graham for the tips. Im defiantely going to try your method as it seems to work wonders. Ill first have to get a day off here where I can go to the city where there is a decent art supply store. I cant wait to see your finished turtle. Anyway gotta go. Danny

Hey Danny, I posted a few new pics today in the Red Eared turtle topic. The closeup is cropped in from a larger shot, and I still need to take a new macro pic of the turtle.

Graham

graham your talent shines on this realistic. that little bugger would go nicely with one of the realistic flies you made. when you set him up in your display case put him closing in on one of the flies laying on a twig or leaf?

or tie up a nice damsel fly. these little critters eat alot of insect life when their this young. would make a very realistic display !

Bud

Thank you Bud and Daryn, you certainly make me feel proud. I'll take your advice Bud, and tye a damsel as a turtle snack. The little guy is on top of a piece of driftwood in my display, but I wasn't positive what they like to eat. He looks real happy in his new home...

Here's a link to a few pics I posted today, where the turtle was the snack...

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=227342