Fly Tying
Bud Guidry

Match The hatch ( challenge)

i read somewheres last year of a food source found in the bellies of trophy trout during mid summer. a food source many preditory fish ( bass, Musky, Pike, trout ) feed on during this hatch. this challenge should test your imagination and tying abilities and use of materials . also test your artistic side as well with coloring. who ever comes up with the best realistic gets the kit that i have already put together. a plus is you'll have a great fly to possibly tag a hugh brown trout during the heat of summer.

any takers?

oh, i forgot to mention the species

a newly hatched red ear turtle ( the little guys you use to buy at the pet shop )

Terrapin!!!!!!!!!!!!......train put it's brakes on.....and the whistle is screaming.....TERRAPIN!!!!!!!!!!

This is going to be FUN!!! Bud, I don't know how you come up with such unusual ideas for a fly, but they are always great ideas. Tying a baby turtle really sounds challenging and fun.

I had never thought of fishing a baby turtle for big fish and I bet they work great.

Once again, thank you Bud for your inspiration and generosity.

Graham

I kind of like the pic below for reference, but it doesn't show the tail. From looking at other pics, these turtles do have tails, and that will be the first thing I tye onto the hook, a 10xl streamer hook. I'll start mine later today and will take step by step pics to share...

IPB Image

i read somewheres last year that these little turtles are soft shelled when they first hatch and big fish will key in on a spot along the bank when they start entering the water from a nest.

Bud

I saw a cool video on YouTube a couple weeks ago of a Tiger Shark attacking and eating a big turtle, it was pretty cool, although I felt bad for the turtle.

Anyone know excatly how long they are when they hatch?

about an inch and a half long. we'd catch those things by the bucket here as a kid in the canals and ditches. i still ctach some with a dip net every summer for mallory in the ditch that runs next to where my bird farm was. i've seen some as small as an inch.

i've seen some with a big m painted on thier shell with pink finger nail polish too

Bud

OLB I think you should name yous tuck! You have kids Im sure they have heard of the wonder pets!!

I started mine about half an hour ago, and maybe it's going to be too big, 2 1/4" long. But that includes the little tail. I got the legs and tail started , have a good idea how I'll do the head and neck, but haven't figured out how to tye the shell and underneath onto the hook. I want mine to float, just in case I want to fish it...

Me in too...started work on it got legs and working the head then the shell..might be a little big though

:D mike................if i can find my cord for the digital i'll ppost some pics..