Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
byhaugh

Views v. posts

:dunno: Hi,

I am wondering why there are so few posts compared to the number of views on any given original post??? :dunno:

Thats simple, its because some folks view a post, and if they dont feel that they have a good reply, then they dont reply. for instance, say you check out a post with a catchy title, but then you see that there is nothing valuablt that you can add to the post you just go to something else. It happens all the time.

Dustin

Momma always said "if you don't have anything good to say ----------"

There are always far more people who read web sites than folks who actually post on them. It is that way on every site I am aware of, they are sometimes referred to as "Lurkers".

For topics a viewer is interested in, but knows little or nothing about, there simply isn't much to say except "thanks" or "I didn't know that". Many are here to learn.

Here's another reason:

Every time someone looks at a thread, it's a new view counted. The total number of views isn't narrowed down to the number of people who look at a thread, but it includes all views, even multiple views by the same person. This is why three people can be the only participants in a thread, yet the thread will have a very high number of views. Every time one of those people opens the thread to read and reply, that view is counted.

I agree with the title statement. There have been times I've been like, ok this looks interesting. And, then I have nothing I could really say about it either because I dont really know about it, or It had to do with something between other members which I wouldnt really need to give my opinion on.

It just means that a lot of us looked at the post, but didn't bother replying.

I generally look at everything, but obviously, all rumors to the contrary, I don't know everything, and even where I do have some knowledge, someone more capable may have already posted an answer that incorporates everything I could contribute, so, having nothing more to add, I don't bother..... Make sense?

Dbl Haul:

How would your explanation address a post which has 1 post and 150 views?

Logic would say that plenty of people had nothing to say after viewing it.

byhaugh,

I would say that you are being far too sensative about the view to reply ratio. If I ask a question I could care less if it gets 10000 views and only one reply as long as I get the information I was looking for.

Not everyone that reads a topic is going to know the answer or has anything to say that has not already been said.