Fly Tying
dabalone

How bout a Pram?

I like my pontoon boat but a pram is what I really wanted. I have been in one of these little boats and they are awesome, amazing how stable they are. If you got the bucks these little prams are the cats meow for small lakes and calm rivers.

Check em out they are really nice.

click here

LOL, Im a boat whore. I have a pram actually. It's on loan to my friends son, who's got the boat bug. I just rarely used it. They are great lake boats, and VERY slow river boats. But aren't quite as "claimed" on the springcreek website. Not bad for river fishing, but not a replacement for a quality cataraft (as claimed on the site). I used my old pram for a one man boat on the rivers before small pontoons. Handled great. But for most of the rivers I'd use my driftboat, it was too small and sat a tad low for my tastes. Especially with the amount of water that would come into the boat on a few runs.

But they are great for those who only fish moderate rivers. I've seen and rowed a springcreek pram (they're made up here) and was a great boat. Had a chance to buy one, but I still had mine, and wasn't being used (had my Steelheader). If I'm worried about the cold from windblock, I should just retire from steelheading. LOL. laugh.gif Just depends on what you want out of the boat. They do serve their purpose. I prefer the pram in lakes then a pontoon. But I don't fish lakes anymore, so use went way down since I had the cataraft.

LOL Steelheadr,

I had a sneakin hunch you would know about the Spring Creek Prams. Many of the flyfisherman here use them. I checked into purchasing one and by the time we added all the extras, shipping costs and tax it was gonna run me $2000, which is more than I wanted to spend, so I opted for the pontoon boat. The boat I paddled around was the 10' hopper model, and it was sure nice.

Riverman,

Is that boat a manufactered brand, or a kit? Not to many wood boat builders these days.

It is a one of a kind. A wood boat designer streched out a 6ft overlap kit design to 8ft and added some features stolen from a 10ft "Ray's River Dory." Had three kits cut, two are built and the other still in the box. Riverman

Never heard of a pram before but it looks like a shotened jon boat. Is that about it?

-Bamboo

Very similar Bamboo, the technical differences I am not sure. Check out the site I posted for the Spring Creek prams, you get a good explanation there.

Nice looking boats Salmonator, would be fun to build one. I tend to lean towards aluminum, laminates or molded types for less weight and upkeep.