Fly Tying
Graham

Realistic Red Eared Turtle

I started tying a red eared turtle yesterday, thank's to Bud Guidry's great idea and challenge.

I haven't finished it yet because I need to get busy tying some house flies, but I thought I'd post some pics below to show what I got done so far, and I think it's starting to look pretty good. I stayed up until 1pm last night, and have about 7 hours invested so far, and probably 2-3 more until it's done. This little turtle will look nice in my display....

Just to save me a bit of time I wont put text below each photo, they are probably self explanitory. I used foam strips, yellow turkey Biots for the claws, swiss straw, a piece of craft foam for the shell, with a hand drawn shell pattern, scribed with a razor, colored, and shaped by holding it over a lighter flame while I bent it. The shell has not been secured to the body yet because I need to make a foam piece for the underside, then I'll probably use a needle and thread and stich the top shell to the bottom piece......

I hope you guys enjoy this as much I did creating it....

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

In the pic below, I used a thicker foam strip under the wire, and razoe foam over the top

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

I got a bit better at tying the biots on the front legs

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

This is where I stopped, for now, and the pic below just shows the shell laying over the top.

One nice thing about using wire is being able to position the legs later without fear of breaking.

After it's done I'll try and take some nice photos with good lighting.....

IPB Image

I like to apply my colors in layers, with lighter colors over a darker base layer

IPB Image

I had a lot of fun tying this critter....

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Graham...A picture is worth a thousand words!!! Coming on the heels of your Sea Horse this is an excellent fly...ahhh, turtle ;) What's next?, the Loc Ness Monster??!!

Thom

Not only are you amazing but you are fast!!!! How long ago did Bud post this challenge?? two days????

Great job Graham! I love the paint job and photos :headbang:

I second on how fast you did it :bugeyes: Just Sweet!

Brent

I'm glad you guys like it! Now you guys need to try tying one, luckily it's a quick tye...LOL..

I stayed up pretty late last night working on it. I tried tying realistics at the show last weekend, and I just can't focus well with so many people around asking questions. I think two long days of sitting at my vise tying fishing flies made me really want to put some effort into a realistic. Honestly, I give the credit to Bud for the turtle idea. I've spent a lot of time trying to think of something else to put into my display, the sea horse doesn't match, but the red eared turtle is perfect for the display.

If I try this again I'll put an open mouth on it.

Thanks again!

Graham

...Graham...you are truely an artist...looking through your step by step pictures, I actually witnessed the birth of a fantastic turtle...you are extremely talented and can adapt any materials to tie onto any fly with such ease...I look forward to your next discoveries...being new to the art of tying realistics, my interests are perked up even further...I have been labled as " being a nut" around my house for taking so long to tie one fly...but now I can show them your patterns...you rock dude... :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

AMAZING work once again, Graham! This one sure brought a smile to my face. :D

P.S. - I sure hope you've got a compass, 'cause your so far off the beaten path, you trailblazer.