Fly Tying
Graham

Realistic Red Eared Turtle

Graham, when are you gonna get a webcam? I'd love to watch you color your flies

Tell you what I'd like to see, a detailed list of materials used and a stap-by-step demonstration, with pictures, from placing the hook in the vise until the last knot it tied, and then a live action video of Graham doing each of these realistics, all stored for easy access here on FlyTyingForum. I would love to see the same thing from others, not for all flies, but two or three, with those really superb tiers who would like to do this joining in.

Having said that, the next thing we would need are larger servers.

I think that type of resource would be tremendous value to everyone who aspire to higher knowledge and tying abilities.

Wonder when Pitt is going to do a turtle movie?

Ray

Thanks guys, you've got me blushing now...

I've been thinking about getting a web cam, looked at them as Best Buy and Circuit City and it's hard to belive they are good quality for the price? Most are less than $100. I've solar powered many web cams, for remote applications, military and even NASA, typically use Axis cams, which start at about $1,200, just for the cam. Maybe the big difference is megapixels and the ability to control the cam remotly, including panning and zooming. I know I wont need a dome with an internal heater and de-froster...lol.. What kind of cams do you guys use?

About the flies I'm tying for the Brad Pitt movie, I was advised today to take all step-by-steps off my web site. I wont get into the details of other studio boss suggestions, but I always had a feeling tying for $ would be different than tying for fun. Without getting into too much bragging, seems like I got discovered yesterday, and a couple more studios have called seeking insect collections. Apparently the Humane Society creates real problems when dead animals are used for props, this includes dead bugs. For the movie Hidalgo they found some guy in Italy to make a beetle, and they are thrilled that I'm a local Burbank guy. Today was my first day ever spent tying for $, and I've got a headache...LOL...

I'll finish the turtle this week, and will put text under each of the photos including the ones already posted, to help explain stuff...

Think I just threw up alil... jk, I always know what you tye is gonna be kickazz .. but eveytime i see a new tye.. just over the top. I got everyone i know checking this out .. great tye Graham as always.. :cheers:

Colouring is phenominal.. :clapping: :headbang:

Graham I've got a Logitech Communicate QuickCam STX webcam that I've been using to teach some of the virtual tying classes. I think they run about $50. I picked mine up from Office Max on sale for $25 last Fall. There's alot you can do with it as far as brightness, contrast, etc. go. It's also got a built in sensor to make the video brighter in low light conditions. Obviously you can record videos and you can use it as a camera but it's only like 1.3 MP quality. Shoots at 30 frames per second. It's got a built in Microphone and a few other bells and whistles. I bet they've got a better model out by now.

The things I wish it had were the ability to zoom in or out and to manual focus. I usually tie with mine about 5" away and it comes in alright, but there are times when I'd really like to zoom in on a small area, say 5mmX5mm to point something out and the capability isn't there on my end. In the classes the students can enlarge the window to get a better view of what I'm doing, but the only problem there is you start to get that "pixely" view. Another thing I wish is that the chord for it was about 20' long so I could take it right to my tying bench for the classes. Instead I've got to mount my vise to a dinner tray and bring it in to my computer desk.

Something I figured out about a month ago was to mount a magnifying glass between the camera and the fly I'm working on. I can put the glass close enough to the camera that unless it's off center, the students don't even know it's there. It not only zooms in on the fly I'm tying, but the picture is much more clear.

I've been seriously thinking about saying forget the DSLR and just going with the Pentax W20 and a descent DVD recorder. I think it would be fun to make fly fishing and fly tying movies. It seems like step by steps are quickly becoming a thing of the past.

Ohhh man !!! Just saw this..

Graham your talent is simply astonishing !!!! :bugeyes: :bugeyes: :bugeyes: Your ties are one of a kind, and this turtle is perfect. Man I dont know how you did the colouring, did you skinned a liittle turtle to dress your hook ? :D

Hi Mihai, Alex, flytime ,oatka and vices, thank you! I'm glad you like it, now I need to finish it.

Yes, Mihai, I did skin a turtle...lol, and your stonefly life cycle which won the most creative contest was a one of a kind!!! Have a GREAT time in Lapland!!!

Cheers,

Graham

Graham that thing is insane! I love the way you built the neck so it looks like the skin is inverted. thats just anouther example of your pristine attention to detail. great little creature there

I have started my turtle had some difficulties with the legs so started over as of now i have the tail

and the legs and startedthe head this is definetly a challenge :wallbash: ..As soon as i find my camera cord Ill post some photos for you all to see........Mike

Hi Graham,

There is little else I can add to whats already been said other than

"this guy must have come from another planet"

Keep up the good work and keep pushing the buttons

John