Fly Tying
arkfisher

Arkfisher's Jointed (Hairlip) Minnow

Well, there was some question as to how I made the hair lip on my jointed minnow ... and since I've never posted a step by step, so I thought I'd give it a shot.

Step 1: Start the thread wrap at the hook point. ( I use Danvilles flat waxed thread for deer hair)

IPB Image

Step 2: Pick the color mirabou to use and attach it just behind the hook point. It should be approximatey

the length of the hook. Then trim the excess mirabou at an angle to the hook shank and cover with

thread. Then add a couple strands of flash.

IPB Image

Step 3: Pick the color that you want to use for the belly color. You could use the same color all the way

around the fly. If you chose to do that, spin it like you normally would. In

this case I will not spin

the hair, just flare it.

IPB Image

Step 4: Then pick the back color and flare it on top of the hook.

IPB Image

Step 5: Finish out to the rest of the hook with the deer hair and tie off the thread.

IPB Image

Step 6: At this point, I trim up the hair a little bit to give it a basic form. I use a two edged razor blade

to flatten out the bottom of the fly and curved deer hair scissors to give the basic shape for the tail

peice of the jointed minnow.

IPB Image

Step 7: A good technique to use is to coat the belly of the fly with some flex seal. Make sure to add enough

in order to soak the thread that is deep into the hair near the hook shank.

IPB Image

Step 8: Start on the fron hook by placing a large piece of mono on each side of the shank in order to make

a flat surface for the hair. (I use 22lb saltwater tippet for mine)

IPB Image

Step 9: Use another piece of the mono to attach the back section of the fly. Wrap it on the bottom of the

hook shank starting at about the barb. Place the mono through the eye of the back hook and use

your judgement to see how long you want it. Then, wrap it on top of the shank to about the same

point.

IPB Image

Step 10: Wrap the hair the same way as in the back hook. You might find that adding the mono to the back

hook will help with the flaring of the hair if you are using different colored belly and back.

IPB Image

Step 11: Keep adding the deer hair until you reach about 2/3 of the way up the hook shank. Pack the hair

very tight, then tie off your thread and cut it. This is where the trick comes in. Take a piece of

plastic, (I find that sections of a ziplock bag work well) and cut a small square out of it. Put a

small hole in the center and place it over the hook shank.

IPB Image

Step 12: Restart your thread and pick a color for the lip of the fly. Flare a normal sized amount of the hair

on the bottom of the hook to be the lip. Then spin the back hair as normal.

IPB Image

Step 13: Similar to step 11, pack the hair, tie off the thread and add another piece of plastic.

IPB Image

Step 14: Finish out the rest of the hook shank with plenty of deer hair and whip finish.

IPB Image

Step 15: Now it is time to start trimming. The plastic that was added will act as a stopper for your razor

blade. You still have to be careful though, you can push too hard and obviously cut the plastic.

Trim the belly of the fly first. Then remove the plastic by cutting it with scissors.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Step 16: Add flex seal to the lip of the fly to make it more rigid. Then trim the rest of the fly to the shape

that you like. I suggest just putting a rough shape on the lip and then finish the trimming while

you are fishing it in order to get the action that you want from it.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Step 17: Now, add the google eyes. At this point, I like to add a generous amount of flex seal to the entire

fly to make it more rigid and it will hold up for many many many fish.

IPB Image

I hope this was informative. I enjoyed tying it. Any comments are more than welcome!!

Great instructions and photos! I was puzzled when I first saw the plastic sheet on the fly, but the next couple photos made it perfectly clear what purpose it served. Very creative technique. I had never seen this method used before. Kudos and thanks for sharing!

thank you thank you thank you.

i never in a million years would have thought to do it that way. i am on my way to try it now.

again..thank you.

awesome job on the step by step also. the time you put into it is much appreciated.

i did it.....i think :dunno: worry about the wiggle half next time. just see if i can do the lip for now.

damn you guys make everything look so easy. i dont know how i get myself in these situations.LOL

this tie was difficult for me. perhaps a little too advanced for my limited experience. only took me an hour and a half. :bugeyes:

i think i used to large of a bunch of hair when i tied in the lip. i need a big sign next to my tieing spot that reads

LESS IS MORE!

two pics, same fly, opposite sides.

post-9630-1173337419_thumb.jpg

post-9630-1173337453_thumb.jpg

Twofingerz,

looks pretty good. If you do get too much hair for the lip...you can use something more rigid like a business card to separate out the amount you want, then use a razor to cut any excess without messing up the rest of the lip.

Thanks for the comments guys!

Awesome step-by-step!!!!

When you say "flex seal", is that a particular product or a general description?

Thanks for the great tutorial,

Terry

Terry,

I use a product called "Flex-Seal" I see no other markings on the bottle, but I would assume that the fly shop should have it. It's a type of glue, but it doesn't dry really stiff. It works great for deer hair flies. I like to put it on all of mine. It makes them much more durable.

i found a product that wrks better than flex seal called bond527 works great and can make more durable spun or stacked deer hair flies chris helm suggested it so it is not just me