Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Mr. Steelhead

Alex C. --Probably just something for a good laugh

Well, I have to say that Alex C. is an excellent instructor and I have attempted to create a freestyle rendition of the Dragonfly he showed in the Virtual class this week. I realize I do not have the skills as most of you but please keep in mind that so far the only thing I have mastered is the spending lots and lots of money part. But if you don't mind a laugh have a look at this Frankenstein.

post-7989-1173413673_thumb.jpg

post-7989-1173413982_thumb.jpg

Great job, and I agree, Alex is a great instructor, and great tyer, we can learn alot from him!!!

Dustin

Great job man, and thank you for the kind remarks guys! That is a heck of a lot better than the first few of that pattern I tied! :headbang: That should fish great, what did you use for the wings?

The body is foam cylinders glued together to get the length I needed, the legs are silicone Strike King spinner bait skirt and the wing is a Dollar store plastic tablecloth that I use for lots of things. It is white and have a whole pallet of Sharpies to make it any color I need. I tied it on a light wire aberdeen No. 2 hook. I realize that I may use a lot of unconventional materials, but for experimentation and learning I find it exciting to also find alternative to some of the more tradidional materials, after all, was it not the way it all began in the first place?

Awesome! I love that you're experimenting, it's one of the most rewarding aspects of tying. Soemtimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. But either way, we'll be better tyers from it.

Take that one to the sink and see how it floats, then if it's not 0*F like it is here, tie it on and take it ouside to see how it casts. Those two things should give you a good idea if you want to make more the same way or not. Of course there's other things that are important too, but are tough to find out during the offseason.

On initial drop, it looks very nice, but after it is wet the wings want to fold up. I am hopeful that it will shed enough water during casting to remedy this. If not, then I will have to experiment with a different material. I was looking real hard at a new Dryer sheet or maybe some Pellan. That may make awesome wings and it has some staying strength. If you do not know what it is, it is used in clothing to create stiffness in a pocket welt or shirt collar. And yes it is very cold here and everything is a very bright white.

Well, I appreciate the comments and I guess that is what makes us look harder at what we do and try to do better. I gave the first some water tests and really did not care for the results so I went back to the drawing board although in this case it was the vise. Well here is what I was able to create after a little thought and looking at some pictures of dragonflys. I think it is a major improvement from the first one and I am very much looking for some honest opinions of good and bad about it. Please keep in mind I am looking for fishability over all else. I am not an artist, but a fisherman.

post-7989-1173500984_thumb.jpg

This one floats extremely well and it is going to the lake tomorrow for flight training. If it passes that, then there is always the possibility that it just might get promoted to the bass box. I can't wait to try it out. I have a very good spot im mind for tomorrow's test that just might include a smallmouth or two. Depends on how warm the rain is tonight.

I'm with you, I like the second one better for fishing also. I have coated dryer sheets with (used are better) flexament and they look great. They fish for crap. They helicopter and do not lay as well as the deer hair or artificial hair wings.

I love the last fly. They first one is tied well, but you'll catch more fisherman then fish..........