Fly Tying
DeweyGreen

Extended body flies

Is there any secret to get the body to stick up off the hook an whats the best way to tye the back end ( forgive this dumb question ) but I'm still learning

I tie my hex flies with extended bodies using deer hair. You just tie in the hair so it extends past the bend and wrap your thread back to the bend over the hair. Once you reach the bend use your left hand (if you are right handed) to catch the bobbin after wrapping over the hair with your right hand. do that to the end of the hair an repeat the process back to the bend. It is kinda hard to explain and easier to show. Sorry if my explanation confused you. Maybe someone else can add on or clear it up ;)

i used to do it that way, but the body always came out crooked. so now i take a needle, and start the thread wit minimal wraps on the needle, then just tie on a bunch of deer hair and wrap it once up then once down and whip finish at either end. just slide this off the needle and trim off the thread that is hanging from where your start thread was. then coat the body in head cement. finally just tie it on where ever ya want!

i use to tie them using a needle as dsaavedra mentioned but i have actually changed the way i do mine. My way is cheating but you can fire off lots more and they look good. I went to a craft store and bought a sheet of high density foam and cut it into super thin strips. I add my end pieces for the tail, and then tie in the ribbing with the thread do my post for the wings and there you go. Sometimes the body on the hook looks a little spindly so i add some dubbing or somethign to fix her up

Hope that helps

its cheap and fast and effective

yeup thats the surefire way of makin FOAM extended bodies. the way i was describing is a method of making DEER HAIR extended bodies. both methods are very effective B) ;)

i use to do it with deerhair but its way more of a process. if you are trying to impress people or show off your tying skills then right on...those are the ones i show people but when i am just out with my dad and we are fishign away....those foam bodies are amaizng....and the foam is a $1 for a massive sheet.....why not....