Fly Tying
stony

Thread Question

My wife is really into quilting and she is always looking for various sales on materials and stuff like that.

Anyways, she recently found this place locally that's having a sale on thread. 5000 yards for 3 bucks. I'm thinking, can't I use that thread?

Good Day,

I hate to say most likely not. There are two primary reasons - material and diameter. Most sewing thread is made of cotton which does not stand the rigors of fly fishing well at all. It can mold and disintegrate. The other is diameter (or construction) - sewing thread is much thicker than tying thread which makes it fairly useless as it builds too much bulk and makes for poor heads when you tie off. Also, sewing thread tends to be round in shape where as most most modern day fly threads lay flat which is a distinct advantage when holding materials to the hook as more of the thread is touching the material vs. the round edge of sewing thread. Hope this helps!

Steelie

looks like most quilting threads are cotton and some sewing threads now are polyester core covered with cotton. there are full polyester threads as is the case with the glow in the dark thread i use for my firefly imitation. and also 100% nylon threads. they are all round though.

http://www.coatsandclark.com/Products/Mach...oidery/Threads/

The only fly I've tied with sewing thread is Andy Kim's Yong Special midge.

Andy's recipe calls for sewing thread, specifically Coats and Clark "double duty plus", which , as someone mentioned above, is polyester core with cotton coating.

(Info on the "double duty plus" sewing thread is here:

http://www.coatsandclark.com/Products/Sewi...lus+Threads.htm)

Joann.com carries this thread in a multitude of colors including "summer brown" which Andy Kim considers the most important color. The smallest spools, 135 yards, will fit on bobbins with a bit of stretching. Or, you can pull off a few yards and temporarily wrap around a standard spool.

I've used the same thread and tapering technique from the Yong Special to form the abdomens on small emergers. Haven't had or used any long enough to see if the cotton creates a problem over time.

Here are the instructions for the Yong Special:

http://shop.flyfishing.about.com/fly_archi...etails/1291.htm

"I hate to say most likely not" to using sewing thread in fly patterns.

Don Holbrook & Ed Koch use C&C sewing thread, along with embroidery floss, regularly in their midge pupae patterns described in Midge Magic. They also provide an appendix with a list of C&C colors and code numbers. This work is based on 25 years of study on the streams of Central Pennsylvania.

Many others, including Deward Yocum of New Mexico, use C&C again and again in their midge patterns for the San Juan.

http://www.danica.com/flytier/dyocum/dyocum.htm

IPB Image

Kev

Thanks. When I posted above about the Yong Special, I forgot all about the cotton embroidery floss that Ed Koch recommended when I chatted with him at a fly fishing show a few years back. Still have a pile of colors I bought at a craft store. (Did use it for a few midges--its especially good for two tone bodies).

By the way, Deward Yocum's "San Juan special" midge at the link you gave is virtually identical to the Yong Special, including the tapered thread in summer brown (C&C color #54). Makes me wonder who, if anyone, should get the credit for this fly.

I dunno, in the world of fly tying materials, the cost of thread is negligible. To try to save money by buying a large spool of thread which is questionable seems like false economy. I don't know where I would store a 5000 yd spool of thread anyway.

I don't think I would use sewing thread for tying flies, BUT it does make good furled leaders. After you make the board which you will have forever twisting up a leader with a drill takes 5 mins. They are super cool because you made them yourself and they float like no other leader if treated with floatant and sink like a stone if treated with sinkant. I'd use darker colors, but I fish dark water. These leader turn over very well also.

Here's a link if you want to read up on them:

http://globalflyfisher.com/fishbetter/henk/henk2.htm

The problem is, sewing thread is too course for most trout flies. Most of it is size "A". That's a good size for larger flies, though, say size 2 and larger. I use it a lot for saltwater flies, but you do have to deal with the fuzzies.

The largest thread I use on furled leaders is Uni-thread 6/0. Sewing thread will work, but, the resulting leader is too thick IMHO.

I heard thread furled leaders aren't worth a crap.

All of mine are of mono.

Just something I heard.