Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

? Stimulator dry fly body

I am curious about what you all use for the body on this fly. I am doing a orange stimulator. Have supper fine yellow dubbing bet nothing fine enough in orange. What i did , i tested in sink and it floated for a second or two then sank. Any advice would be helpful. Thought about spinning deer hair but takes to long. Using elk hair for tail and wing, could add extra from tail to body then dub. That still sank. Any advice would be appreciated.

tt

Alex you spin then trim.I'm tying to avoid having to spin.I can do it just hate it sometimes.But if it comes down to it thats what will happen.Thanks

tt

I'm not a very good photographer

but if you look close the back body on these is actually orange foam cut into a strip just wider than it was thick then wrapped up, the head is still dubbed

IPB Image

float, yeah they float tied like this,

sometime I'm gonna use a sharpie to veregate them too

Pauly'

Wait a secondwhy did'nt i think of that.I have some orange foam.Thanks for the hint.Alex i think i'll do some foam and hair.You talked me into it.

Any more ideas gang are welcomed.Sometime the brain needs a boost to work.Picture looks good.

tt

No I don't spin it, that would be too much of a pain. Just take a small bunch(you'll get a feel for it after a few), stack it to even up the tips. Tie in your body hackle first at the bend. Now take the clump of hair and hold it so your tips extend out past the bend the length you want your tails. Now kind of push it down so it's kind of surrounding the shank and take your thread that was at the bend and wrap it foward to hold it on. Now wrap your hackle foward. If that doesn't make sense, let me know and I'll do a quick video

i'll have to give it a try. I did a bunch mixof foam cover of hair from tail came out nicely.floats. With have to had to list joehard.

tt

I usually tie mine with antron dubbing as Randall Kaufmann called for .With good hackle and the elk hair tail and wing they float like corks..........Frank