Fly Tying
Twofingerz

how would you do this?

what technique and/or materials would you use to create a fly to match this sunfish? I am trying to duplicate the look of a small one tied on to a size 2 hook.

will post my first attempt later cuz i dont want to influence any possible ideas. i am not happy with my first attempt but that is probably more due to me being a newb and not having the necessary experience to pull it off.

post-9630-1173805931_thumb.jpg

I've seen wool used for sunfish patterns (I'm thinking Dave Whitlock

but not sure).

I believe that the famous Tom Nix tied his sunfish pattern using deerhair,

but that would take additional time and effort.

Maybe a really big Janssen's Minnow ?

I agree with Paul and Mike on the EP fiber. I tie alot of bit streamers that are 5"-7" long to imitate baby rainbows that the big browns feed on here in the Au Sable and EP fiber has been my material of choice for them. Mainly because it not only looks good but it sheads water easily and is alot easier to cast than other materials that tend to hold water.

Steve

Is there a trick for getting a big and beefy side profile with the EP fiber approach ?

Tie it in a hollow fly style.

flytyingscotsman what I like to do is "flare" out the head of the fly before I put the eyes on it. Then when the eyes are stuck on the fly with a little epoxy on the back of the eyes it helps to hold the big profile of the head which seems to help make the whole profile on the body bigger.

If you look at the head of this streamer I tie for surf fishing you can kinda see what I'm talking about. This one is a mix of EP, fly fur and lite brite but its the same principal. The head pretty much stays the shape it is in the pic without colapsing down because of the eyes holding it in position

IPB Image

Steve

Two other possible tricks for sunfish sized imitations...

1. figure-8 in the material as you would on a Merkin Crab and then cut the exact profile out you are looking for.

2. Start by tying in some yarn (red?) at the center of the hook shank and wrap up a good sized ball of yarn on the hook shank. Then when you tie in the EP 'traditionally' as would appear in Steve's picture start with the first bunchs tied back nice and tight to that yarn, which will cause the EP to flair. Then each successive bunch will flair accordingly following the same flair as the fist bunch tied tightly against the yarn.

flytyingscotsman what I like to do is "flare" out the head of the fly before I put the eyes on it. Then when the eyes are stuck on the fly with a little epoxy on the back of the eyes it helps to hold the big profile of the head which seems to help make the whole profile on the body bigger.

Thanks for the pointers Steve.

I never thought about the doll eye holding the profile, but that makes sense.

ugh..what a nite..work sucks...i need to win the lottery

ok here are couple of pics....one of the fly dry, and the second one with it wet down.

i am not completely happy with it and i am sure i could do a better job in the future. maybe i just need to aquire some more materials that would give me more ooptions on tyin this up. i am always up for buying more stuff..LOL

thank you all for your suggestions. what do you think of it so far?.

post-9630-1173846753_thumb.jpg

post-9630-1173846773_thumb.jpg

A Matuka can also be a pretty fair sunfish imitation. Remember, the baby 3" fish are not as brightly colored as the mating bulls you often catch. Bluegreen on the back, slight barring, pale yellow belly should do it.

i had to Google Matuka cuz i did not know what it was. I can pull that one off. Just need to make a quick shopping trip. Which i pretty much do every weekend now. Sounds like a complaint, but it isnt. I am loving this. :-)

ya could do tht or stack some turquoise deer hair over some yellow/orange hair. trim it to shape and then add speckles w/ a sharipe. the only problem is that deer hair floats. :crying: