Fly Tying
Twofingerz

how would you do this?

I'm guessing you're tying these for Bass or Pike? Either way, don't get too focused on getting a super realistic panfish body profile. I also like the EP/Unique Hair/ Streamer Hair, type streamers. The possibilites for what you want to imitate are pretty much endless. As long as your colors and presentation are good, you'll catch fish.

yes, after doing some more "research" i have decided to tie some existing patterns in the appropriate colors even if they dont have the same body shape. Eventually will be able to get out there and see which works best.

You could use a small pair of peacock eyes!!

try it out, it might work or it might not,

RoyalWulff

Your first attempt looks pretty good to me. What material are you using? Reason I ask its that the bane of many wide bodied flies is how they eat up the hook gape.

When I tie a wide bodied fly I try to put 75% of the material above the hook shank, whit just a sparce belly underneath.

The suggestion to weight the fly will work, but never forget that you can use sinking lines and they are often easier to cast that bulky flies with added lead.

Just one more question about panfish in general. Aren't the younger fish proportionately longer and thinner than adult fish?

Take a look at some of the classic Marbury bass flies in the Classic Streamer and Wet Fly section of the forum. You may not find something that is an exact match, but you should get some ideas for flies that have the appropriate profile. Besides, they're just beautiful. Start here with the Massasaga

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=23064

Fly Tyer magazine, spring '98, pages 18-20. Enrico Puglisi article on tying his bluegill, pumpkinseed, and yellow perch patterns. Material list and tying instructions included.