Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Regal

Making Dubbing

I need some help making dubbing!!! I recently got a recipe to make some scud dubbing and it calls for wool. Do I use knitting wool??? What do I use and how do I mix it? In a blender??? In a coffee grinder???

HEEEELP!!!!!!!

reg

I like the coffee grinder method...if you're using wool make sure you cut it into little pieces before putting into the grinder otherwise you'll probably burn the grinder out.

Hope that helps.

Hot Tuna

PS It's beter to have a designated fly tying grinder...wool flavored coffee is yucky... :bugeyes:

You can buy wool in most fly shops. A coffee grinder works well for mixing, but another way (better IMO) is to place your stuff in a mason jar with a small amount of water. Shake well and dry. Voila, mixed to perfection.

Here are a few tips I use when I tye flies:

I make my own nymph dubbing by using wool yarn and 2 pieces of the sticky velcro.

1. Get 2 pieces of the velcro and attach them each to the end of a large popsicle stick.

2. Then separate your yarn into strands and put the yarn in between the two pieces of velcro and rub the yarn both ways until it looks like a good dubbing.

You can also mix different colors of yarnlike this to get any color of dubbing you want.

Here are a few tips I use when I tye flies:

I make my own nymph dubbing by using wool yarn and 2 pieces of the sticky velcro.

1. Get 2 pieces of the velcro and attach them each to the end of a large popsicle stick.

2. Then separate your yarn into strands and put the yarn in between the two pieces of velcro and rub the yarn both ways until it looks like a good dubbing.

You can also mix different colors of yarnlike this to get any color of dubbing you want.

Hi bwol

I tried this but the wool/yarn/floss gets really stuck in the velcro.

How do you get it off? Am i missing something obvious?

thumbs