Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
sniksoh

sniksoh's foam craw--prototype

looks a lil bit sloppy. what did you use for the underbody??? since foam is a very easily shapable material, i would consider cutting the claws into more of a claw shape. i would have never thought to use foam for a craw tho....nice use of materials!!!! the only question is...does it float?

looks pretty good. I'd color the body brown though, or use some brown foam. Makes it abit more realistic. Experimentation is always the best way to tie. Go fishin with it, and see what ya catch. ;)

i would be worried about trying ti sink the foam. have you tried to get it down and do the barbells work?Also the rigidness (is that a word) of the claws and the size. otherwise i like it.

it is brown foam...and no dsv...it wont float with the dummbell wieght in the back...and ts sloppy because it is a p-r-o-t-o-t-y-p-e...i tried making the foam look like claws but....im a perfectionist and when the clwas werent exactly the same i kept on trimin them and it turned into that

gotcha! to make the claws, before you tie them in, hold the two pieces of foam back to back and cut out the shape of a claw. then you will have two symmetrical claw pieces!!! :D

it does sink...i threw it in a glass of water and it sunk like a rock... im tying a new one right now...i think i might change the legs to just some chinnelle with hackle wraped around it...stay tuned

sniksoh

ok i'd only wrap hackle on the front portion nearest the claws tho. you dont want hackle back near the tail.

i like the "messy" underbody it looks very natural. like wild moving legs and gills. I also like the foam. nice to work with, and fairly durable. Looks like a good craw to me. I tie my barbells back twards the hook bend, but your way with the foam the craw mite actually sit on the bottem with the tail down and the claws floating up like a real crayfish.

I think for a prototype it definitely has p-o-t-e-n-t-i-a-l !! :P My only concern is with the foam claws. I tried to tie a craw with foam claws and they just twisted in the moving water. It acted as a planer board under water.

Claws are to big for a craw that size...should be half that or smaller. Sinking it should be no problem, I tie a similar foam backed crawfish (with much smaller claws). A big set of dumbbell eyes will do the trick. My foam back crawfish should be under the "my patterns" link on the bottom of this message. And I think the pattern shape for the back is on my website. You're getting there, a few minor adjustments and you'll end up with an effective fly.

Mark Delaney

It looks good. Personally I would use a more blond colored foam to imitate a softshelled crayfish though. My co-workers have been having a lot of luck with my crayfish that is softshelled body with hardshell colored claws. They say it is dynamite. But that is just a color variation that just might work.