Fly Tying
Ribs1

Make your own fly boxes

Because I'm cheap, I look for anything I can make into a fly box. What do you guys use to make cheap fly boxes? By the way, I will never, ever buy a c&f fly box. 40 bucks for a plastic box with a hinge and foam?

That's garbage.

Thanks

Walmarts used to sell the small hinged plastic boxes in their cosmetics dept. over where you find the travel size neccessities. They are the same thing as the folding boxes you see in fly shops/Cabelas for $9.99....only these are a $1. Needless to say when I found these I must have bought 50 of them...I gave most of them away with flys inside as gifts, they come in different colors , on side has one large compartment for streamers & wooleys , the other side has 5 compartments & it fits in your shirt pocket. If you happen to find them I would advise buying as many as you can. When they run out they take too long to restock. good luck :)

I agree with the C&F boxes being pricey, but damn they are nice boxes! I have a few devlin boxes that cost between £3 (about $5.50) for a 4" x 3" box and £8 (about $14.50) for a 10" x 7". I'm not sure about their availability in america though.

Altoid tins are great...but have you seen the altoid GUM tins.....very cool. Collection Tip.....visit a nursing home and offer to trade flies for tins...... the residents love the mints and there's an old fella there that loves my flies. I get about 20 a month there.

P.S. Walmart sells scientific angler boxes for 5.00 !!!!!! plastic hinged and foam filled..... try also the Plano 3500 series boxes...... just add foam.

I have a couple C&F's (they were gifts). Very spendy, but, VERY nice. That slotted foam is awesome especially for tiny flies.

For when I don't want to take a huge box of flies, I use an altoids tin that I stick some craft foam in. Just cut it to fit and use a little 5 minute epoxy to stick it in there.

i go to truevalue adn on there lil fishing/out door isle, the sell lil plastic hinged tackleboxes ahtat are like 9"x9". they have compartments that you can adjust the size. i bout like four or five of them....the are only l ike $1.50 each.

while I'm fishing about 10 film canisters marked whats in them. Hey there water proof . small enough .and if you drop one you have 9 more filled to choose from ..

I'm cheap when it comes to boxes also,I have made 5 or 6 boxes using

Huggy's baby wipe containers with some foam glued in, they work great and don;t take up much space

If you have a friend that has a baby/little kids they will have some,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,B

for big flies I like the Plano-type divided boxes, I line the bottoms with pieces cut from a closed-cell foam sleeping pad with slits razored into it. works well.

Bass Pro shops has some pretty decent and relatively inexpensive plastic fly boxes with the ripple foam inserts. I think about $6 for the "large" size.

for bucktails and similar streamers I like the divided plano boxes with no foam.

Anyone remember the old aluminum Perrine boxes with the rows of covered springs inside? I have a bunch of those up in the attic from about 25 years ago. They were fairly nice, pretty heavy, and the rivets rusted....

there are some obscenely expensive fly boxes out there, that's for sure. amazing.

I've got a Perrine with clips and one with the springs...they are awesome in that there is no foam to hold water and allow the flies to rust...when you think about it that Perrine coil box is the predecessor to the C and F design, it holds flies in the same position the only difference being that Perrine is hook point into the spring as you know. I see these boxes coming up on Ebay from time to time and they are usually an excellent value...they hold a ton of flies. My boxes were purchased new in the early 70's by me(I guess that means I'm getting old....lol)