Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
cornmuse

Killer Bug

This is a neat fly, designed by Frank Sawyer just after WWII. It's a dynamite imitation of a sowbug or scud. For March I did a two-fer on the Adventures in Fly Tying video series. I included the Killer Bug and the Pheasant Tail nymph tied is the manner of the original, usng copper wire instead of thread. They are easy ties and are superb fishing patterns. I've also got a link to a gallery of images of Frank Sawyer tying the PT.

The most interesting thing about the Killer Bug is the rarity of th original material. It was a Chadwick's 477 carded 85% wool/acrylic blend. It's long since out of production and the las time I saw some on Ebay it went for stupid money :dunno: Anyway, a bit of gray wool works wonders.

If anyone wants a hunk of the wool I used for the video, send me a SASE and I'll pass it along. One $3 skein is 1000 times more than I'll use in a lifetime. Contact me off-board for addy...

I love the classic pattern! :headbang:

Joe C.

Nice flies......they will catch..

I fish the beats that Frank used to keeper (the upper Avon)..........

The killer bug is a real killer.........You haven't tied it as the original, as the original didn't have a tail as yours does....

The wool is effective because with the reddih copper wire underneath (Frank used the very fine wire in electric elements etc), it gives a lovely pink colour, that is of course deadly for grayling in particular. FRank favoured grayling to trout generally, and the quote below is one of his.

The original wool is expensive. In this country, two skeins went for auction at £150. I have one full skein, and a smaller one with two shades on..........

Regards

Chris

Knoxy;

I'd love a photo or two of that stretch of the Avon to add to the ariticle on-line. If you've got a pic or two knocking around, perhaps you can email them my way?

Regarding the tail on the Killer - yes, you're right of course. I say that in the video and note it in the step-by-step. I keep the short tail because it keeps the yarn from slipping free after a bunch of fish. I catch quite a few redear and bluegill sunfish on this pattern in our warmwater flows. We don't have too many grayling in Ohio... :unsure:

In this same video I've also included the PT - tied in a manner similar to the FS original. I had to pretty much figure this out from his book which has, shall we say, minimal illustration.

Anyway, the KB and the PT are both classic patterns that deserve a spot in anyone's fly box. We seldom see the KB fishing on this side of the pond, and that's too bad.

Joe c.