Fly Tying
byhaugh

Does anyone else have a Law vise

thanks for the info byhaugh. A buddy in Scotland gave me the contact info for Lawrence a while back, but I didn't know that was the only way to get one. I guess I'd kind of forgotten I wanted one of these vises until I read this topic. I've never used a rotary vise before and after watching guys use them at a show a few weeks ago, I really want one, and the LAW vise looks to me like it's the best quality rotary.

It's my understanding that they are made to order and that there is a significant wait for it to be manufactured. Davie McPhail is the only tyer I know who owns one.

My Law is almost as enjoyable as a piece of sculpture as is is a tying vise. It is the smoothest vise I have ever used.

Saw a tyer at a show in Taunton, Massachusetts using one recently. I said "Wow, is that a LAW vise?" He smiled and said it was. He said it was great but the best thing about it was that everyone came up to him and said "Wow, is that a LAW vise?" :P

The Law vises I have seen all look really cool, but I don't like the delrin joint for the rotary arm and post. I can understand having delrin for it's smooth motion, but for strength that scares me a bit. I have the Renzetti presentation 4000, and it has ball bearings at that joint, the lower end Renzettis use a delrin bushing at that same joint, and it wears out over time.

Maybe I am looking at an outdated version of it, is there a newer vise that does not have this delrin joint?

I love mine!!!

Been tying on it since April!!!

No problems. Made a little felt cozy for it when I am done tying.

I did get the backing plate, extended bobbing cradle, and material clip.

Solid, well made. Never looked back at the expense or have questioned the investment.

I was going to get the Renzetti 2000 with when I placed a call to "Laurie" and being an engineer - we talked material selection, machine tolerances, and chemical compatability - and with my Mom being British and myself living there - I made the decision to get a Law.

So that's my story.

Good luck.

TroutBum,

Waiting time can vary, depending on stock. At this time Lawrence tells me 1-2 weeks.

Graham,

Indeed, only available direct from Lawrence.

HardyHead,

Delrin for the housing was Lawrence's choice based on functional criteria, and its presence is unchanged for vises as sold today.

Regarding durability I can only say this: My LAW Bench vise was one of the first two Lawrence built, in 1989, and has been worked hard. There have been zero problems with the delrin housing, or any other component of the vise. It is as 100% today as it was when I first received it. I personally know many of the LAW vise owners and I am not aware of any problems with housing durability at all for them.

Cheers,

Hans W

My LAW vise, which I've had for over 2 years, is hands down my favorite fly fishing/tying item I've ever owned, and I own lots. I routinely switch from tying small trout flies (in the 18-24 range) to large striper streamers on huge hooks, like Varivas and Tiemco 4/0s, and there's no adjustment whatsoever. The best thing about the vise is that it give great clearance on smaller hooks, which are held with just a minor twist of the star wheel, but also holds huge hooks (even offshore size) with also just a minor twist, because of the pockets in the jaws. The delrin housing actually seems lower maintenance than metal, because nothing sticks to it, it doesn't degrade or rust, and operates very smoothly. Thanks to Mr. Flytier above, I took the plunge and love using the thing.

By the way, I might have been the tyer at the show in Taunton, if you're talking about the Bear's Den show this year, where I was tying up big saltwater flies using my LAW. Don't think anyone else had one there.

Jonny

FWIW, delrin is used in race car suspension parts - under load. In the right application, with the right design, it can be extremely durable and even more so than metal on metal.

I have my law for 1 1/2 year and think i never need another one.

Nice to see more ppl are interested in a law,its a good decent strong vise with everything on it you need.

Ok the price may seem a bit to much for "just a vise" but you get what your paying for.

On the other hand......it looks nice and you can see its handmade.

It will keep its value,ever seen a secondhand law for sale??? ,but in the pricerange that you pay for a law there are ofcourse more good decent vises.

Klaas

Law Vise online, the link to online info and a phone number.

What does a Law Vise cost?

Thanks,

Ray

P.S.

Look at his other products: Law Products, more vises, reels, etc.

These are neat! Does anyone have a price list they could post. There is no e-mail or product website for purchases and I know ZERO about calling or faxing out of the U.S. When there are +s and different combinations of numbers than we use, I don't have a clue!