Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
tompa

Clearwater flies

:D Hi all

I'm afraid that the new Kaiser in the family is taking up to much time, that and my new work has managed to keep me away from the vise for some time now.

However here's a couple of flies you culd try in clear river on a bright sunny day. The Naook and the Sillen. The Sillen is a version with he new Turbo cone heads from Guideline. I'm sure that I've left the recipe for Sillen before but here it is for the Nanook.

Tube: XS+S fluo green FITS

Hook: Silver 2 - 12

Tag: Mirage saltwater flash or silver

Tail: White Flurofibre

Body: Rear1/2 Kelly Green Firestar dub, front 1/2 Pearlgreen Firestar dub

Ribb: Blue Lagartun mini flatbraid

Body hackle: Silver badger

Front hackle: Fluo green ringneck or Teal colored fluo green

Wing: First some strands of MOP and blue gliss n glow. Then a bunch of white, almost glaslike krinkled hair such as good arctic fox. Then some strans of Damsel and Sea foam green Angelhair. Over that A bunch of mixed Ice blue and light green hair.

Sides: JC

Head: Fluo green or silver cone head on tubes.

The Nanook should be tied very light but still have a large volume. The light should drizzle through the wing and reflect in those small amounts of flash.

I´ve also took the liberty of adding a short novel about the importancy of fishing your own way. If you wish to read more about "my kind of salmonfishing" you could do so at www.elverfly.com

It's my friends sight but I have contributed to the chapters about Atalntic salmon fishing.

//Tompa

post-1781-1174249907_thumb.jpg

post-1781-1174249934_thumb.jpg

Fish_your_own_ways.doc

tompa - I read your article with great interest. I agree with your conclusion about fishing your own way. I recently received a copy of the new John Shewey's new book ("Steelhead Flies"). In the back of the book is a great article (Appenx A) where he discusses fly choices, colors, etc. and what he calls "The Confidence Factor". I think by choosing to fish in your own way, you were able to fish with confidence and successfully hook the salmon.

Beautiful, tube flies. I'd like to add a couple of these to my box for our spring steelhead run.

Thanks for sharing. :D

Tompa

great to see some flies again

your tying is excellent

i enjoyed the article. i think some times we all run into bad spells just keep fishing and they sort themselves out

hope to see more flies

all the best

john

Hi Tompa!,

Nice flies, I hope to see some more !! keep up with that great flies!. could you explain the relation between colours of flies and weather and water conditions etc,. I have some stuff clear.well presentation is very important too.

you have any of your own ?

All the best

Sebastian