Fly Tying
byhaugh

still think too many only view and do not participate

Seems unfortunate that so many views occur and yet so few posts. Everyone has something to add to the posts.

so Byron...since you have been a member here for nearly a year and only have 51 posts we can assume that you have only looked at 51 or less posts <_<

While I agree that more traffic through the site would be wonderful, it is ridiculous to me to expect anyone to post a comment 'just because'. That is the sort of thing that has made other sites nearly useless and I would hate to see that happen here. I do believe that if there is something worth while to be said that it absolutely makes sense that a reply be posted, but if nothing constructive or helpful is there to be said then I think it makes perfect sense to leave the post without a word.

Sorry I do not have something for evey post..... and for the thousands of guests who cant post cause they are not members hmmmm...... what the heck is there deal

Well....just want to put in my 'just because' so I don't get in trouble! :D

I agree. I look at almost every thread here, but usually don't post anything about it. How many people read the newspaper everyday? How many of them write letters to the editor to put their "two cents" in on it? It just doesn't make sense :dunno:

This site is excellent in that if members don't have something constructive to offer, they leave it alone...while there is some good natured joking and photoshopping here from time to time, I have rarely seen bitterness or animosity amongst the members. I have rarely seen posts censored here as well. I just stopped participating in a site in CT that has less than 400 members; there is more nonsense going on in there than I have ever seen in here with over 8,000 members. So sometimes silence is indeed golden as my friend Mike has already suggested.....

All the best,

Hot Tuna

I think you take what you need and give what you want. If something in the paper bugs me, or something that should be in the paper bugs me, I write a letter (the Canadian thing to do). If I am looking at something here out of curiosity, why post anything unless I have something constructive to add to it? This site gets alot more posts and replies than many others and it all seems pretty good. I don't think 400 posts saying "Thanks I was just curious," would mean much, whereas a couple of posts that add or embellish another could be far more useful. Sure it makes sense, just as much sense as reading a novel and not writing to the author, just enjoying the work....My 2cents Canadian worth. :)

I could give a speech, but oatka would fall asleep...............zzzzzzzzzz

just how many responses of "nice fly" do you really need to read on any particular thread? i always use the "view new posts" option. i would hate to have to click on the same thread 340 times just to keep reading " nice fly" every time one of the lurkers became a member and said "nice fly". i am guilty of doing this myself from time to time but there are plenty of times i have not. This place is a resource for many, including myself and i certainly dont call Websters Dictionary and tell them "nice job" everytime i look up a word. Enjoy the resource and the friendships and be glad this resource is not inundated with spam posts.

just my humble opinion.

byhaugh,

Out of your 50 posts I can think of several times that you have cried that not enough people respond to a topic. You want a response? Well here is mine. If you don't like this site so much and you constantly cry about people not posting enough, then go find a place where every person that views a topic responds to it. It is that simple. I don't remember anyone being forced to become a member of this site nor to I remember forcing anyone to visit if they don't like it. There are thousands of fly fishing websites out there, this site is just one of many. Go find one you like or hell, start one yourself. One where every person is forced to make a reply if they read a topic, I am sure it would be a big hit.

This topic is quite possibly the most ridiculous thing I have read in awhile and the worst part is this is the second time you have posted about it. I don't get it. Are you on some type of holy crusade against people who read and do not reply? Should the "lurkers" hold their head in shame and be forced to wear a big red X on their chest? I have wasted enough of my time...I have some topics that I need to READ.

Wow byhaugh! I see this topic has over 4000 views and it's only been up for 2 hours!!!!!!!!!!! Have you ever :headbang: thought about a career in advertising? You could put this on your resume :headbang:

If you're really passionate about getting more people to respond to posts here's my advice. Go to the site help and suggestions forum here on FTF and reccomend that Will rewrite the code for the site so that anyone who visits cannot go to a new post till they reply to the one they're visiting at the time. What's the worst that can happen? Atleast you followed your dreams :thumbsup:

I've looked at almost every posting in the "Classic and Artistic Salmon Fly Tying" section of this site over the past year but have only added my 2 cents to a handful of the postings in that section. I look at their postings because I think their flies and skills are incredible, but there is little that I can contribute to in that area. The few times I've posted have been to ask questions of the very knowledgeable people, or to thank someone for sharing the intricate details of their tying, or add my words of support to a friend who was going through a difficult time.

There are other forums on this that I have been an active poster, hopefully providing some useful information along the way to someone who has asked a specific question.

I was a "lurker" for almost a year, before I joined and became active. Over that time I viewed a ton of postings but never added any in return. It was the friendly wonderfully-creative people and valuable information the kept drawing me back and drawing me into the conversations.

IMHO, don't worry about the "lurkers".