Fly Tying
Alex C.

Is There Anybody Out There?

cool fly alex, artistic one, show no boundaries, show us more.

tyrone

Lots of experimenting on this one for me :lol: The red floss/gold rib body segment has one piece of tinsel wrapped twice, and another counter-wrapped once. I think it looks cool, but the only problem is it only looks like that on the near side. The other side kinda looks like an upside down "V". :lol: From the black deer hair ball to the head is kinda where I'm headed with this style of fly. I wanna have basicly that sequence of stuff, but repeat it twice as I work foward. I just don't have any hooks big enough to do it yet. Now I atleast have something "on paper" so I can figure out what size hook I'll need.

Named it after a Pink Floyd song that came on while I was trying to think of what to call it, seems to fit :lol:

believe me i am the last person on this board you should take any advice from, but to me the balls of hair are just a tad, and i mean only a tad, too big. i think they need to be just a touch smaller for better aesthetics. other than that i think its pretty cool and WAY over my head.

i think you just gave me a brain storm idea and i got to learn how to do spun deer hair. man a chatterer style body and add different colors, start at the butt and go all the way to the head. trim it so it starts out the same roundness as the ostrich butt and make it taper a little bigger then smaller as it gets towards the head. you could even wrap a large tinsel over this and it would sink into the hair and give it a really cool look, i'm off to ebay to buy 75 pounds of deer hair

Bud

Alex:

The design verges on mimicking the Classic salmon Seminars Logo. LOL I thinks it's great seeing tiers utilizing their minds and materials in different ways. I believe that for some of us, it's not that we want change...we sometimes just want to see what it looks like. Well done

DaveG

Very cool Alex. And a great song to name it after as well. :headbang:

I think I'll second the opinion that the balls might have looked better if they were a tad bit smaller. Nicely done though, getting them as round as they are. I have only done a little bit of deer hair work and there's a real art to it. Not to mention a heck of mess. :D

Jeff

Thanks guys,

I think you're right that my balls are too big. Did I just say that? :lol: I'll trim them smaller on the next one, thanks for the feedback. Aaron I didn't look at it that way, but I think you're right! I cut off the rear ttopping wing and now it really looks like that :lol: But that gives me a really good idea :D

Bud, I'm doing a virtual tying class on wendsday here at FTF. One of the flies is an Umpqua Pike Frog. Gonna be teaching most deer hair tecniques all in one fly. Here's a picture of the finished fly(not one I tied)

IPB Image

I'll send ya a PM