Fly Tying
Harold Ray

$135.00 Peacock, all the feathers you could use in a lifetime&#33

I watch a variety of sites and have a variety of hobbies. One is hides, pelts and bird feathers; my fascination with these and the animals that wear them didn't just start when I came to FTF.

This peacock came up for sale a couple of days ago, and I asked fo pictures. How much of a bird like this can be used in flytying, what feathers? How complete a usage can you get, and whay is good for what?

What it comes down to is, I didn't know whether or not buying a bird like this made sense! Of course, I do many things that don't make sense, so I guess I shouldn't have even mentioned that factor. :) An', I ain't kiddin' there, boys and girls!

Here's the write-up:

he is free run so there is no damage to feathers he is still running but I can pen him up easily taxidermists like birds dispached in different way so i will let you chose I will have several 3 yr olds for $95ea in the next few months I would like $135 for this bird he has over a 5 ft tail the 3 yr olds won't be quit as long if you are interested in any of these birds don't email just pm or post here

thanks

Boomer

IPB Image

Thanks!

Ray

Harold, that isn't a bad price IF it is perfect. You would want to ask the guy if the feathers are chipped or any damage particularly the wings, mostly the secondaries and coverts.

Thanks, Ronn, Cape and Newfie. I PM'd him asking the questions you stated, Ronn. I really appreciate your help in this.

Ray

Pretty bird. I can't wait to see the condition it is in when you get it. Keep us posted.

maybe i'm being silly but i feel bad for the bird, when i was younger things like this didn't bother me as much and well, i raised alot of these birds and had trouble if i had to put a sick bird down. i would never take a healthy bird down for it's feathers only. i have taken crest off golden pheasants and this kinda upset me too and only did it once for that reason. it would be sad to take this bird down just to put it in a drawer for it's feathers. i tie freestyle flies and use an array of materials and the truth is i hardly use any peacock feathers at all. classics don't call for it much and the little that is called for can be easily purchased. i'm not trying to be an a$$ hole here but take another good look at that picture and see past the handful of feathers you might use and absorb the beauty of this animal. maybe it's just me getting old but it saddens me to know an animal as beautiful as this could be taken down so a small amount of feathers i could hold in one hand could be tied on a hook and the restof the bird is stored away forever. i wish i'd known you wanted a peacock, i have an adult fully feathered black shoulder in my freezer that died of natural causes. i promised it to someone only 4 or 5 days ago. it's been in my freezer for over a year and no one never wanted it before. i took a bird apart that also died of natural cause over two years ago and sent out all the feathers to guys on the page. likely a dozen or so people and i would bet they still have most of what i sent them. this material is not used as much as you might think it is. you may tie a couple of flies when you first get the stuff but then the excitement wears off quickly when a new material comes along. sorry if i upset anyone by all this ranting but i bet the bird would be more upset than anyone here if it knew what was going to happen to it

Bud

>>>> i would never take a healthy bird down for it's feathers only. <<<<

Bud,

Your statements certainly didn't upset me, and actually, you sound a lot like I do when I get started. When I mentioned pelts, hides and feathers earlier, what I didn't say is I don't kill animals. I used to but while and after becoming a veterinarian, I stopped hunting. And, I release all the fish I catch. I guess I'd keep a few if I wasn't too lazy to clean them, but I am so my fish come from a restaurant or market. All those trout I caught last week in Mountain Home swam free as soon as I could get the hook out.

I do visit an unbelievable site though that is totally dedicated to taxidermy, Taxidermy.Net, but many trappers also post with their catches of the day. What you see and read is sometimes unbelievable. That is where I saw this bird; it will be killed, whether I buy it or not. When these folks see an animal, whether its a bird, bobcat, lynx or any one that you can name or think of, it translates to dollars to them, and that is that.

Don't go there unless you anticipate that type of site, well run, tremendous traffic, and many animals and birds. There is a gigantic fur market the trappers cater to, and the taxidermists are trying to make a living. For them, killing and mounting animals is a way to make a living or supplement their families income. I don't agree with it, but it is a thriving industry. I don't think there is much anyone can do to change it.

I grew up around this type of life in Central Texas, and I imagine you did the same in southern Louisiana, hunting, fishing, trapping and all the rest.

Ray

P.S.

Bud, anytime you have feathers you've just got to get rid of, my address is Ray Emerson, 419 Lake Air Drive, Waco, Texas 76710. Just thought I would throw that in! :)

i kind of had the same type of thoughts when Graham was posting about making houseflies for the BradPitt movie. they needed fake houseflies because they didnt want to harm real houseflies, but what about the birds killed to make the artificial houseflies. that must be OK in their mind. that must mean it is OK for Brad to wear leather shoes on set as long as no cows were actually filmed being harmed. everything we do today has become some sort of double edged sword.

Harold,

If you are going to dress classics only then the feathers you would use are the tail support feathers, the secondary wing quills, the eye and sword feathers (typically the peacock herl). I can't recall any classics that specifically call for things like the blue neck feathers etc. The tail support feathers are usually buff to light brown in color and can be bleached and dyed to provide some long, but coarse, fibers for married wings (also used to make Florican Bustard substitute). Herl is called for as butts and winging materials in lots of patterns (Jock Scott for example) and the secondary wing quills are used in the wings. Good secondary wing quills need to have at least 70mm long barbs or you're going to be stuck tying small patterns (< 3/0).

For freestyle or artistic patterns, everything is usuable.

I've been looking for some peahen body feathers for the hackle on an old antique pattern. Needless to say, I'm still looking as this is a very uncommon feather in the flytying craft.

Charlie Vestal