Fly Tying
Linesides

Blue Jay Hackle

You cannot legally buy or use blue jay feathers. Suggest you contact John McLain at feathersmc.com, tell him what your are trying to tie and find out what (if anything) he has in stock that would be a legal substitute.

:dunno: I hate to disagree with you guys, but European Jay and/or Asian Jay is legal to use for Hackle. I am assuming that when you say hackle, you mean as a throat or body hackle. The wing feathers are split and used as hackle on salmon flies. The American Blue Jay is NOT legal. you can get the other jays from any salmon material dealer.

Sorry guys, I guess I am agreeing with you.

joelst :crying:

Chris Helm has English Jay. www.whitetailflytying.com

I'm sure John McClain can get English Jay also.

Thanks

linesides,

Prehaps I misunderstood you. When you asked about blue jay, I thought you meant the American blue jay

IPB Image

which is illegal to buy or use.

If you meant the Eurasian blue jay

IPB Image

(image from feathersmc.com)

you can legally buy and use them.

You don't have to buy the jay from Europe, you just have to buy a European(Asian) jay. Feathersmc.com's website says it's out of stock. Check with whitetailflytying.com

If you cannot find jay in the US, contact Steve Cooper at

http://www.cookshill-flytying.co.uk/

Steve has the best in the world and regularly and promptly supplies tyers in the US.

Note - time zone.... we are 5 hours ahead of EST, so it's 19:07 just now

Happy tying,

Roy.

Gordon MacKenzie's book on Hair Hackle has energized me again third time. I have been tying up quite a few patterns as materials are scattered between 2 addresses. He calls for jay for front hackles on many of the patterns and I would like to follow them closely.

You can find european jay and other speciality feathers at fisherman's feathers.com. British based but now sells in the states.

By the way, I'm a new forum member and wondering why someone described me as a bait fisherman when I' a fly fisherman. How do I change it ?

Thanks,

Buzzby