Fly Tying
Matt Inman

Show your progress in pictures...

Hi everyone

Well I wasn't going to post these, but what the heck!

I didn't have appropriate materials Soooo, I did all the stuff everyone

has been talking about that you don't want to do..creating a freestyle

fly without having a clue what I was doing (yes I put it in a display case

so I go back later and be disgusted and have a good laugh!

post-10612-1174869127_thumb.jpg

post-10612-1174869821_thumb.jpg

Then of course I did another one (Once again my own creation :( ) and this was

even worse, especially since I didn't go back and get rid of the horrific head!!

post-10612-1174869178_thumb.jpg

post-10612-1174869729_thumb.jpg

Fortunately, I ended up here and am no longer doing this.

I was lucky enough to get into the Seminar :yahoo:

And I am trying to do this right.. :)

Thanks

Here's my best fly so far.... post-10612-1177315502_thumb.jpg post-10612-1177315546_thumb.jpg

It is, indeed, amazing to see the progress that some tiers have made. Some in a shorter time than others; sadly for some, perhaps never! :wallbash:

To paraphrase Ronn Lucas in another thread (if I may, Ronn), do yourself the favor of learning to tie in the classic style, using classic techniques before spinning your wheels and wasting your time and materials creating "artistics" because you are not familiar with proper materials, the materials' properties or the techniques that will allow progressing to an almost flawless application of materials to hook, in a pleasing balance and proportion. Indeed it takes practice, hours and hours, if not years, in fact! As I stated in Tying the Classic Salmon Fly, by Mike Radencich, "practicing ineffective techniques over and over leads to perfection in doing it ineffectively." Please learn the proper techniques first, and your tying will improve exponentially!

Best from Nashville-

Stack Scoville

Vee. your tag tip could have been shorter. you have 7 turns of tinsel. on a small fly as this 3 or 4 turns would have been sufficient. also your tag is a bit long. try shortening the overall tag lenght on your next. you need to find smaller ostrich herl.

pay attention to the tiny details. do you burnish the silk once wrapped? burnishing silk won't remove large bumps but will smooth it out some. wrapping silk correctly improves with practice and repetition. pay close attention to tinsel wraps making sure they are evenly spaced and all the same angle. depending on how tight you wrap tinsel you can often tweek it into place with a bodkin point but be careful not to break silk strands, what type of hook did you use for the last fly. i like that hook

hope this helps

Bud

My learning process started when I lived in Michigan, and got a little interupted by a move to New York in late August. I love tying all styles of flies, so there have been periods where I'll ignore salmon flies and be focused on realistics, then I'll focus on bass bugs, then I'll switch my focus to fishing flies, and then speys, and it never ends. I think if I could ever get my fly boxes caught up, I'd be able to focus more on one particular style of fly., cause as much as I want to be good at tying everything, it's hurting me in a way.

Here is my first, tied in mid-late August of last year about a week before I moved to NY. Sorry for the bad pic.

IPB Image

The next time I sat down to tie was with John Mclain. He invited me down to his house and even though I was only like 2 days away from moving across the country, and was up to my neck with stuff to get done, I spent about 10-11 hours with him(not to mention the 5-6 hour drive to and from his house) trying to soak in all that he had to say. I could just barely marry wings before that day. I don't know how long it would have taken me to figure out how to marry them right, let alone if I would have EVER learned to mount them without John's help. I could go on and on about how great John is, but here's my souvineer from that day.

IPB Image

The half hitch came undone on the second one.

Then it was about a month or so before I had the time or space to actually sit down and really tie again. I think it was an Irish Thunder & Lightning. Then I spent a lot of time on realistics. Then wet flies. Then played with Dee Flies for a few weeks, then back to realistics. Then I tied about 6-8 full dressed flies pretty much like this one and framed them to give to family members as Christmas Gifts

IPB Image

Then I spent most of this winter filling my fly boxes and playing with more realistics. About a month ago I started playing with spun deer hair on salmon flies. Which has led to the most recent salmon fly I've tied

IPB Image

I am really excited about the seminars and am hoping to learn as much as the mentors involved are willing to teach. Cause as cocky and overconfident as I am, I know I have A LOT to learn.