Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
byhaugh

Favorite Brand of Hooks

I use Tiemco almost exclusively.

Not because they are necessarily better than other high-quality hooks (Dai Ichi, etc.) but because it's what I'm used to. There are subtle differences of size, bend, shape of shank between manufacturers for "equivalent" hooks(for example, a Tiemco 100 dry and a Dai Ichi 1100 are similar, but not identical). Its just easier, at least for me, to stay consistent as much as possible.

Also, for what it's worth, I generally tie both dries and nymphs on dry fly hooks. If I need more weight, I add lead substitute and/or a bead.

I'll tie on a paper clip if i have to :lol:

I use Mustad for most of my tying cuz i have them in bulk and they're a work horse. But i also use alot of Tmc 200's for stones and Targus 2487's for sucker spawn. Every hook brand has its use for me.

The only fly tying hook i will stay clear of is Gamakatsu as they are to brittle and break off at the bend if snaged up and retrived( no hook left). They are great for Bass fishing with a Senco but not worth my time to tie on.

Brent

what ever kind I can get my hands on truthfully. I have a bass pro shop just areound the corner from my house, so I generally just buy white river brand, or mustad.

Ronn Lucas :headbang:

I like all different kinds of hooks, and even use hooks that were not made for fly tying. My favourite way to fish is with streamers for brown trout, I use the tmc 300 in 2 & 4. I am looking into a Daiichi 10x long streamer hook as it might be the hook i have been looking for.

I'll tie on a paper clip if i have to :lol:

Funny you should say that... thats how i started tying :D

I've used Kamasan, Dai Ichi, Drennan, Mustad and Fullingmill for trout, mostly Kamasan and Drennan as they are what my local shop stock. The mustad signatures are nice hooks B)

I like the Mustad and Eagle Claw hooks. I fish mainly subsurface and loose tons of hooks, pinch the barb down and sharpened these hooks are equal to the 3X cost, chemical sharpened designer hooks.

Regards,

FK