Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
RoyalWulff

Circle Hook Flies

Bowfish, It seems there is a misunderstanding here. My original post was refering to Mokai's flies, not Fly Guy's.

Mokai, I believe those are "octopus" hooks. With a circle hook the point turns back towards the shank.

BTW: ALL of the flies posted are better than what I can do, at this time. I meant no direspect to anyone on they're tying skills (Mokai).

Chris

Frogg,

Gues that explains that. I sure was scratching my head there for a while :)

I agree at how well folks tie, wish I could too. Take Care.

Good Day,

So I am sitting here looking at some clouser-eque flies i tied with circle hooks and began to wonder.... I wonder if using circle hooks could help eliminated or reduce the need for a weed guard on certain waters or flies? For example... jig type flies for bass that you cast into deep cover. Would the bent hook point assit in keeping the fly less snag resistant? I have not experimented yet, but wondering if someone else has? At the very least I would thin one coul place a less resctrictive weed guard (lighter pound mono) for better hook ups? Any thoughts?

Oh yeah, and a pic of the fly that started the thought...

post-295-1176681774_thumb.jpg

Steelie

I love those circle hooks for fishing salmon in rivers. I cast quartering downstream and let the fly swing in to shallow water. I get more positive hook-ups, no snagging of the fish, less than 1% snagging on the bottom. I've tied them using streamers, minnows and egg patterns.

Steelie, you're right with the idea of less snagging, I tied some nymphs on circles and yesterday i was fishing them through weed beds and I was sagging very little weed.

Good Day,

Fly guy stu, good to know.... but how was the catching? Haha..

Blackfin, you know that makes perfect sense to me! Afterall the shape of the hook is primarily designed to not "snag" in the back of the mouth or throat of fis, so it would stand to reason that the same would possibly hold true for the outside of the body as well! I will be tying more salmon streamers this way this fall... haha!

Steelie

Steelie, I had 2 on the circle nymphs and another 3 on a Dawsons Olive, I caught my personal best, a 6 1/2 lb Rainbow in perfect condition!

It sure was! I've come to realise that the bigger fish fall to small nymphs :dunno:

My old philosophy was - big fly:big fish - but I've proved this wrong on several occasions. My two biggest fish have been on size 12 pheasnt tail and size 10 diawl bachs.

Stu

The weed thing sounds like a great plus, I was fishing with buzzers on standard hooks the other day and it kept getting covered in weed. I'll have to try some, but one thing that concerds me is the no strike thing, my imidiate reaction if I felt or saw theline move would be to strike, would this still hook the fish pr do you have to let them hook themselves?

Fly Guy Stu, reason behind that is freshly stocked fish tend to be more aggressive and so take big sparkly lures, where as the bigger wiser fish are more warey and will more likley take a small nymph or diawl bach.

Tmn, thanks for that, it seems to make sense. As for the Striking with circles, as far as I know, this will pull the hook right out of the fishes mouth. It's really hard to just keep retrieving and lifting the tip after a few seconds but they seem to do what they claim too, they hooked in the scissors every time.