Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
field989

dubbing making

well i hunt/ and trap so i got a ton of fur and hair and all that jaz... so i was wondering how to make dubbing...

any tips or help would be appreciated

Thanks

Jeff

get yourself a small coffee grinder. Take the hair, along with the underfur(dubbing), and place it in the grinder. Then chop it up nice and fine. Makes for some great wraspy looking flies. Another thing I have heard of was to take the hair, and underfur, but place it in a jar with some water. let it settle to the bottom, and then shake it up. do that a few times, then drain the contents in a fine strainer, or some cheese cloth. Gives ya some great wraspy dubbing.

Ive seen coffee grinders at wal-mart for less then $10 i actually think it was around $7-$8 canadian

not too shabby if you ask me

I've done it without the coffee grinder... and have heard that it can grind it too fine for you. Unless you're doing a ton, the "clipped hair in the bowl of soapy water and then strain it" method will work well for you. At least, I would consider starting with that. I've only done it once, but it was easy to do and made some nice dubbing. Over the winter I'd planned to make a lot of dubbing in that way... mark that down as yet another task unaccomplished!!

The FIRST thing you need to do is make sure the fur is Clean and free of bugs. After it is clean and dry then cut into small clumps and bend it up. You do not want any bugs to get into any materials you already have. When I use the blender I do it in short pulses. It sure is a lot cheaper then at the fly shop. :yahoo:

I wrote an article on dubbing for Hatches sometime last year. Can't seem to find a link for it though. Maybe Will can chime in.