Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flyfishingtaz

close call today

Me and another guy were fishing fairly close together today on the bank at the trout park earlier today. No big deal, there we some kids, about 10-12yrs old were walking along the bank lookin at the fry when we heard a scream. Well, we look that way, and the moms goin nuts. We walk over to take a look, and see about a 4ft water mocasin coiled up on the bank hissing at em. Well, this guy takes a leap, pounces on the body of this snake with his boots, and chops off the head. :bugeyes: Thats when we reallized what kind of snake it was. The kids start walking away, and scream again. 2 more are slithering along the trail next to the pond. Now, it's drizzlin rain, and humid as hell. So, I called a buddy of mine who's a park ranger who came out and checked it out. sure enough, its a water moccasin. The scary part is that, this pond is butted up against a preschool, and recreation area. Summers gettin close if the snakes are coming out.

in 1976 i took a hard bite from a cotton mouth or bettern known as the water mocasin. got me right in my achielles tendon. within hours my foot was as big as a football and by day three it had turned black. after loads of antivenom i was fortunate that they didn;t have to slice my foot to relieve the pressure of swelling. the venom stays in your sytem for 9 days even though your full of anti venom. any excitement gets the stuff flowing again

the doctors told me a water mocasin bite is more dangerous than a rattlesanake bite because of gangreen. rattlesnakes eat live prey and a water mocasin will eat a rotting dead animal. so that inturn means the mocasin carries a higher amount of bacteria in their bites. knowing what i went thru with this event, i wouldn't wish this on my enemies. three months after the bite i went on my senior class trip and was still limping

Bud

I'mglad I live at an altitude where snakes are rare. However, you dont have far to go to run into snakes. I have two stories from last summer that are kinda funny.

I get a call to tow a pick up broke down about 9 miles south of town (a lower elevation). As I'm hooking up the truck I just happen to look over and see the driver standing near the back of my truck, hands over his head like he is being held up, but holding a big rock. I asked what he was doing, and he sid "looking for the rattlesnake". I said "what rattlesnake". He said "the rattlesnake that was by the back of your truck". I said "there was a rattlesnake by the back of my truck, how big"? He said "about three feet long". And I said "dont you think you oughta tell the towin guy about that"? He apologized, I finished up like heck, keeping an eye on the ground.

One hot day last summer just before Sturgis I went north of town about 20 miles to pick up a broke dopwn motorist. I starting to back up ti the car and the guy comes hobbling up to my truck. Picture Larry the Cable Guy doing his peice about people in Wal Mart at 2 am. This is that guy. Elderly. He gets to my window and says " you oughta know, there is a rattlesname by my front tire". It was too hot to leave him out there so I got out, slowly walked toward the car and found what he was talking about. I told him, heep an eye on it, dont move, but tell me if it does. I walked around the back of the car, slowly crept up toward the tire, snatched it up and tossed it to the fence. The guy was inpressed. I told him that that was one cell phone charger that wont harm anyone.

My Son & I were fishing on Saturday in an area in Ky, that gets infested with Mocassins . I kept a weary eye out for them and thankfully didn't see any this trip lol..

Where do you live Taz ?

Wont water mocassins chase you? I heard one time they are fearless. I think I would have a hard time fishing if I had to watch out for those things.

I live in columbia, mo. I was talking to a guy today who said due to the warm spell we're having right now, and the recent rains, it's drawing em out. Kinda thinking about fishin from shore this summer. dont really feel like gettin bit while wading this summer.

Cotton Mouths are vile snakes. Yes they will come after you if they get mad and getting them mad doesn't take much. My hometown area, Ozark Arkansas, has plenty of those and other pit vipers too. Rattlesnakes and Copperheads. I always have my eyes peeled no matter if hunting, fishing or swimming.

Well, this guy takes a leap, pounces on the body of this snake with his boots, and chops off the head. :bugeyes:

Yes, snakes are dangerous, but so is this guy :bugeyes:

No like the cotton mouths- I have faced mocs, rattlers, coral snakes and gators....dem cotton mouths are crazy.

yea he said he grew up in L.A.,ca. I lived in Long Beach for awhile, and the places he talked about, only locals or people who visit often enough would know of em. So he's another loco cali transplant....like me. :lol:

Actually for me. I worry more about Copperheads. They make no noise and they blend into the ground almost perfectly. Cotton Mouths hang out around water, so I know to keep an eye out there. Copperheads are in the woods and even come into town, OBTW they like water too.

The lake across the street has cottonmouths & every once in a while they'll end up in the swale that runs under the driveway when the rainwater doesn't drain into the harbor during the rainy season! They are also in the canals & if fishing, will follow a lure or fly for over 20 yards with the white of their mouths visible while shaking it's head side to side, all the way back to the land you're standing on! Just have to keep the retrieve faster than they swim & hope a big bass, eagle or osprey is hungrier than their demonic appetite ! Biggest change from wet wading in the summer up north is DON"T WET WADE in Florida freshwater unless you're young & foolish :bugeyes: B)