Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Inconnu

How to shave a deer

I read the deer post and this came to mind. Didn't want to hijack a thread so I'll put it here and pretend I'm chatting over a fire and a beer.

I had this friend in Northeastern British Cokumbia who was a cowboy. Not the pretend kind, Tom was the real thing right down to his weaponry.

At some time or another during a domestic spell he was experiencing, Tom raised up a bunch of chickens. They were a good mix of colours etc. so I asked him if he wanted to cape some out and I'd buy them for a couple of bucks apiece. Tom thought about that for .5 seconds and said "Show me!"

I showed him the pattern for caping and since he was a trapper as well when he wasn't being domestic or a cowboy he thought he could do it and double what he got for his chickens.

One thing led to another and Tom decided to try wrangling chickens, pheasants and guinea fowl. Everything else he had wrangled had had a shot at killing him at one time or another so he figured he would be a little safer doing fowl. I should note that the foxes figured they had died and gone to heaven as well.....then some of them DID go to heaven and his flytying inventory was increased.

Anyway, he wanted me to come to this outdoor show with him and show people what he was raising and how to use it, so I said sure. At the time I felt pretty safe, no open lights, no black powder and no longhorns.

So they are 45 minutes late picking me up....oh yeah his other buddy "Not too bright Bob."

I loaded up my table and my tying kit and jumped in the truck with them. So we're driving off down the road and I notice that the two of them are smiling like skunks eating.....stuff.....out of a paper cup.

I asked "what's up with you two?"

Tom in his usual drawl that made him seem far wiser than he really was, said "Me an' Bob just scored BIG!"

I asked....should have remembered not to but alas it was too late.

Bob had been clutching this big green garbage bag between his knees and he pulled it open with a triumphant flourish. Yeah it was full of.....well they had been driving along the Alaska Hwy and seen a large mule deer dead in the ditch, still fresh....and it was Autumn.

So they park beside it so nobody can see what they are doing and as Tom said "I outs with ma' Arkansas Toothpick (yes he had one) and shaved the one side of the deer an' put all the hair in this bag here!!"

I tried to explain that it was much better on the skin, but didn't have the heart to tell him, I let him bask in the glow....and the newly released odor of roadkill hair.

In B.C. road crews come along and remove road kill and I always wondered what they thought when they found a dead shaved deer in the ditch.....true story, which is sometimes a saddening thing. :blink:

Lol

most of my friends dont admit to stufff like that but there is a raccoon story or two in my past.

Jon

someday over a fire is always the best story times

That's funny. A freind of mine lives in a rural part of Newfoundland. He says that you can hear a moose get hit for miles. The phones start ringing and people go to see the accident. I guesse there is a law that if the moose is on the road you cant touch it. If its more then so many feet from the center of the road or makes it into the woods its fair game. He told me he has seen a lot of accidents where the moose is still alive and on the road. People are all standing arround calling the moose into the woods.

Here in NC it is illegal to "salvage" roadkill wildlife (which is everything except domestic animals) without a license. In addition, for game birds and animals, you also need a valid hunting license. Given those restrictions, no one is going to admit picking up anything. I suspect, though, that some tailless deer carcasses have been picked up from time to time.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this