Fly Tying

i tied this up quick tonight as a visual tool. the IC sub you see is the red rumped cacicus i posted in the materials library. tied in as a tail veiling, body veiling and cheeks. the tail has two feathers. body veilings one above and one below and the cheeks have three overlapping. i used alot of dark stuff tocontrast against the sub so you could see it well.

Bud

That thing sure is fancy but not really something that I would normally associate with Mr. Carne. :)

Great work Bud!

:bugeyes: :bugeyes: :bugeyes:

Magnificent! The dark color palette provides a perfect counterpoint for the red veilings and cheeks!

John

Alex. the stuff is beautiful and such a pleasure to work with. it lays so flat because the racus is horizontal and quite soft. it's a great sub and i forgot to mention. if you look closely. there are feathers that have the black or dark grey base as i used on the cheeks and tail veiling , body veiling has the feathers with a lighter base . leading towards the tail the bases become white so you get a selection of feathers on one bird.

Bud

Fantastic fly, Bud ... and very interresting lesson about substitue. Finally, when I see this IC sub, I have a question : real IC is really important and a so beautiful feather to use (I never seen a real one) as we have others feathers to use ? what is the real difference ? what do you prefer personnaly ?

All the best

Bruno

Very nice fly Bud, you definitly made those feathers "pop" on the dark fly. I can almost hear the vacuum of Carne's box sucking you in :D Next thing you know, you'll be asking for dressings to the classics :P

Great work :headbang:

Aaron

Bruno. i have a bit of IC here. even a whole patch and one thing i've noticed that some may not mention. real IC is not the easiest material to work with. it tends to roll when tied on as veilings or cheeks. the racus is hard and difficult to compress correctly. this sub i used on this fly is so easy to use and the racus is soft. once wrapped it hardly leaves any bump where the racus might have been. using real IC has a certain astitic value. i think it plays the mind knowing your using authentic materials listed in classic patterns of yesteryear. yes it's beautiful but there are many feathers more beautiful than crow. i strongly believe, we as salmon fly tyers of today should experiment with new materials. i believe if the materials we have avalible today would have been avalible 100 years ago they would have been utilized and this i'm certain of. we have an array of beautiful materials to use today and i find it sad that many won't consider applying them to a hook. especially when alot of the newer materials are much easier to work with than crow or cotinga. who cares if the color blue on kingfisher defuses below three feet of water. most of the flies we tie today never touch the water anyhow.

Bud

Great silk work as always Bud! I would prefer a longer hackle and throat, but a greeeeeeat fly otherwise :headbang: