Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flygirl

info

I just got into using a bug kit someone had given me ...comes with alittle net & 3 vials. Although the water was freezing my hands ,I could not stop kicking up bugs into the net. How addicting !!! Got a beautiful Golden stone & a nice Giant stone....but the kit came with no directions on preserving the bugs or where to buy more vials. I know this was posted before but I thought maybe someone had some new sources. Thanks for any info

You'll occasionally find vials in flyshops, and even a preservative called "Bug Balm". Vials are cheaper when you buy them from a source like the one linked above though. For preservative, just use a 70% solution of ethyl alcohol. Depending on your personal history, you'll recognize ethyl alcohol as either rubbing alcohol or Everclear.

I just got into using a bug kit someone had given me ...comes with alittle net & 3 vials. Although the water was freezing my hands ,I could not stop kicking up bugs into the net. How addicting !!! Got a beautiful Golden stone & a nice Giant stone....but the kit came with no directions on preserving the bugs or where to buy more vials. I know this was posted before but I thought maybe someone had some new sources. Thanks for any info

Just curious... what type of kit were you given? I would be interested in something like that myself. Thanks.

It's called 'Hatch Matcher' by Dr. Bill Fisher. It comes with a nice size net that you hold in the water , 3 vials, a hatch bug identifier book, magnifiying glass & thermometer...all in a little carry case that can fit in the top of ny waders. got it from www.windrivergear.com .

go to www.BioQuip.com to find more insect collecting gear and equipment than you ever knew existed. Also be prepared to drop your jaw at some of the prices, but they have good quality stuff. I've been an insect collector (mostly lepidoptera) for many years and I buy stuff from BioQuip now and then.

For vials and small jars and stuff, look at Lab Safety Supply, I think it's www.LSS.com or www.LabSafety.com. Also spendy, but they have everything.

One of the great things about collecting gear is that with a bit of ingenuity, one can usually make their own very useable equipment.

good luck!

A few years ago a friend was going to give me a spice rack with small glass jars with tight screw on lids. His wife would not let him. I was not sure what I would of used this for, but collecting and preserving insects came to mind.