Fly Tying

It's is such a pleasure to compose flies for hooks that compel oneself to think differently. This is the last of the three hooks that Matt Inman custom crafted for me and I will miss them dearly. Thank you Matt !!!

Sure, this fly is not classic in it's design, but if you turn it upside down...it begins to show some traditional form. I hope you enjoy it

Dave Gotzmer

No box can hold the mighty Gotzmer!

All hail the master of the floss body!

We are not worthy! We are not worthy! We are not worthy!

It's wild, it's crazy, and I love it. Beautiful concept, beautifully executed. Great name, too!

John

Very wonderfully tied! I can't get over how smooth that body looks. The shape reminds me of a mosquito larve I saw at the local nuclear power plant's cooling pond :P

Aaron

Well...mission accomplished if any of the below apply to you

-You find yourself humming the song (Thanks Sir Elton)

-You understand why the tag is gold, and the absence of a tail

-You find yourself focusing on the point just above and forward of the grey p-cock eye

-You contort your neck to look at it upside down

Thank you all

DG

Dave,

You are officially the master of Avant Garde salmon flies!!! The body is absolutely incredible. Most Artistic flies hold somewhat of a "classic" flow.........You have smashed it and vaulted into a whole new world!!! Minimalistic, elegant and down right beautiful!!! These three should be framed!!! GREAT JOB!!!! -Jamie

Truly beautiful!

Yes' I'm hearing the song play through my head but I'm seeing the video feed from WKRP!

While my older daughter studied Russian in university, one of her classmates was a Red Army Lt. The country fell apart while he was here and he no longer had a country to return to or a valid passport.

She brought him to Thanksgiving. Having seen me roll on the floor over many WKRP episodes such as the Turkey Drop, she coached him carefully. When they arrived, he burst from the car, grabbed me, kissed me on both cheeks, and loudly said, "Hold me closer, tiny dancer." Then he stepped back and saluted.

I hope he got to see that episode before he found his way back to his new country. He deserved to know why a middle aged former soldier from an essentially enemy nation returned his salute with such glee and spent the afternoon laughing at odd minutes.

BTW, how about a pattern?

All good things come in threes and sometimes bad things too, but not in this case.

I took your advice and looked at the fly upside down...that's wild. I got a few weird looks while doing a head stand on my desk at work though.

It's amazing what a semi slight change to the canvas can do to our previous perceptions.

You da man Dave!!

Frank

i am really amazed at the floss body, it is so smooth. i also like how you chose to only rib a few sections, very original and looks nice.

may i ask what floss you use?

i have always liked Zwicky, because it is 12-stranded and you can get a single, very narrow strand out of it, and for my meager skills, i can get that to lie flatter. however you have to pull it pretty tightly when you stretch it, because the stranding tends to make it a bit wavy.

Tom