Fly Tying
Lance Kekel

LARGE Arbor reels

im getting a ross cimarron for saltwater fly fishing, gonna put the order in within the next 2 weeks. also getting a st croix avid 9ft 9 wt for it too smile.gif

I had an Okuma Integrity 8/9 that lasted literally 1 minute into the first salmon I hooked with it. The drag no longer worked so I returned it and bought a Tioga that I've had real good luck with.

My go to Salmon reel is my Ross G-4. Ive had some problems with it but now I have a reliable backup.

If I could afford it I would shell out the money and buy a Billy Pate with anti-reverse and throw my other two reels away. There's something to be said for buying a really good reel right away rather than a whole bunch of mediocre ones.

JSG,

A Billy Pate is a fine reel, but I'd stay away from that A/R. Two friends of mine had A/R reels and got rid of them after having problems with setting the drag properly. If you set the drag too light, you reel in nothing. The fish keeps going and you're just reeling. Or to compensate for this, you set the drag too tight and you break-off fish that you could have landed. Plus, A/R reels are heavier than direct drive and will wear on you if you're casting a lot.

My brother really likes his but I'll probably never know what it's like to own a $400 or $500 reel because if I had that kind money to spend I'd be going on a shopping trip to Mall of America or something. wallbash.gif

redington al's 3/4 and half a dozen 9/10's also Orvis rocky mtn.'s and battenkills... next I'm getting the new Orvis mach's....