Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

foam maribou gerbubble

Dang, that thing is so ugly, it just has to catch fish. :lol: I like the fullness with out real bulk with this type of fly, especially with marabou. I'd worry about durablity with the marabou a bit though. Should hold up for a few fish, but you'll probably have to re-tie the fly every now and then. Though I guess that's not really a bad thing. It will just depend on how tough the marabou stem is.

Jerry,

THe maribou stem is glued into the foam, or tied down on the tail. It's the actual maribou fibers that would break. I fish a lot for bass, but really don't fish topwater "bass bugs" that much. I fish more divers and big streamers. I'd rather fish a big streamer just under the water surface than a bug, but sometimes it's the right place for a bug. I haven't had much durability issues. THe flies I have fish have caught fish and held up fine. They will lose a little maribou, but there'd still enough to look like a small bird stuck in the water.

The pic is one of my big ones and is maybe 4-5 inches in diameter. I also tie some smaller ones that end up about 2 inches in diameter, but can be cast on a 4 wt. I fish those more with a 6 on smaller ponds where I don't expect a huge fish.

I haven't gotten around to it yet, but hope to try making these with some of those newer synthetic hackles. THey are on a rope with lots of fibers coming out the side. Some seem stiff, while others are more maribou like. I would like to see how they look for the "wings" on a gerbubble bug. They would be more durable.