Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
sonofly

Fly fishing bluegill at night/morning

I'm not sure if this goes here, but this is the closest place i could find to put this.

So My question is, can I catch bluegill with foam spiders or bugs at 3:00 am - 5:00 am in the morning?

I would be useing foam spiders that float, and I would just drift them on top of the water. In a good sized pond.

If i can catch them, could i catch them like i would in the day time?

Thanks

i work 2nd shift during the week and dont usually go to bed until 3am or later so on weekends i keep the same schedule. YES you can catch them at that time. i fish very late at night/early morning every weekend in the summer and have no problem catching fish. i do think it is a little more dependant on the moon cycle however as some nights can be pretty slow. it can be tough though sometimes. in my experience fish will turn on and off throughout the course of an overnight, however i think that sometimes an "off" is probably triggered by a passing pike, so be ready. There have been nights when i have given up on the fish and after turning on the boathouse light i see a nice pike hanging by the dock. they usually get annoyed after awhile of me teasing them with my fly and swim away, then i go to bed.

So if i fished off the bank with a foam spider in 1 - 4 foot of water from 3:00 am to 5:00 am I could catch bluegills?

How hard would it be? I would fish in the spot i do dureing daytime and can sometimes catch 20+ in an hour

EDIT~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Nevermind guys... The cops took me home, because I was past curfew... That sucked...

Yes you can catch fish at night!

Before my wife and I had 4 kids we use to fish at night, I think the latest we were out was 3am. We caught fish, but I don't remember if it was as good as daylight fishing. Harder to see to tie the knots.

so, tell us more about the cops? you must be underage (some age) to get hauled in for being out late. I think where I live I can't technically be fishing past 1/2 hour past sundown.....but that didn't stop me, nor did the cops.

Actually, one night when we were out on the pond another fisherman came up around 2am. to my surprise he was also a fly fisherman. his target was carp which he said he'd often have luck with that time of the night.