Fly Tying
field989

dasmel nymph patterns

does anyone have any good dasmel fly patterns ... im thinking this type of fly would be good for bass and gills

Thanks

Jeff

After a lot of playing around with damsel imitations, IMO, the best damsel imitation is a basicly a woolly bugger and pretty quick and simple to tie. I'm at work and don't have any pics off hand, but here's the recipe

Hook- 2XL streamer hook

Tail- Marabou(length equals body length)

Abdomen- Your choice of either- Larva Lace, D-Rib, etc.

Thorax- Olive Hare's Ear dubbing(length equals about 30% of body length not including tail)

Legs- Webby Saddle Hackle(length is up to you, but the natural has some pretty long legs)

Wingcase- Swiss Straw, Turkey, or whatever you like to use for your wingcases(natural turkey looks great)

Eyes- Mono

hmm so would it just be better to just tie woolly buggers??

would they work just as well?

im just kinda looking for a great new pattern that i can tie and use in ponds that catches the crap outta bass/and or gills

Thanks

Jeff

I think a standard woolly bugger will work just fine. A more realistic pattern might help for picky/fish that see a lot of pressure. But woolly buggers in any shade of green(plus about any other color) in misc. sizes will catch plenty of bass and gills consistantly.

ok... i got a few "custom" woolly buggers i made... like purple and red... just mix and match colors....but i dont have enough stuff to make olive woolly buggers oh and i can make purple woolly buggers.....

Jeff

Damsel Patterns:

Classic FM (In olive)

Down N Dirty

Olive Montana

Pearly Damsel

Put tose into google and you should get what your looking for.

Go to the species index just below the banne on this page and click on the panfish.......In the past couple of days, there were a couple of nice damsel/dragon nymph patterns posted and i added them to the panfish database.

Mike

I'd definately take Randy(longears) up on his offer. I've got some of his before in swaps and they are very nice and just so happen to be what I based the recipe/design of mine from.

Randy did I get that pattern form you??? I think i did in a bluegill swap. THAT IS A BAD @$$ FLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here is a simple but effective pattern that I like to use..

IPB Image

I would be interested in having the recipe for that liquid lace damsel nymph if you don't mind posting it. Or just send one to PO Box 234 Constantine, MI 49042 :cheers:

Trichoptera,

Mike Verduin was the co-founder of the RoadKill Roundtable of Dallas Texas and an amazing tyer. He was a good friend of mine.

Micheal's passon was passion was warm water fishing, especially big bream...

Michael created the Dead Drift Damsel, the neatest damsel nymph that I've ever seen.

The Verduin's Dead Drift Damsel was featured in the March 2004 issue of the Dallas Fly Fisher's newsletter, The Leader.

www.dallas-flyfishers.org/leader/mar04web.pdf

A number of other of Micheal's patterns are scattered around the web. Many others are only to be found in the collections of his friends. They are all fish catching masterpieces worth searching out.

Good luck,

Kyle M.