Fly Tying
maddog48

I think I figured out a way to solve ..

I'm just going to buy the damn things. After a half dozen, I am so frustrated with them that I quit. I followed all the tutorials and even did a dab of head cement and the elk hair continues to roll over. Loose wraps, tight wraps .. nothing worked. Maybe I'll just stay with my thread midges. :wallbash:

Mike

Ya tried looping the thread around the hair first and then go around the hook? It holds it all together until the thread tightens. I'm sure you did this, but I found it helps me. Always cheaper to buy them though.... lol

Yo Dog!!! Try elk-hock hair!! I too had similar troubles with this fly when I first tried them! It was better when I used short-fine hair,but better still using the elk hock! Indeed,I have to almost "coax" elk hock to spread around and flare a bit!!

Sulphernut

I've tried about everything. I thought possibly it was too much hair so I backed off some. I have tried different threads. I normally use Uni-thread and had trouble. I tried UTC and thought it was too slick causing the slipping. I have enough different types of hair to where I could build my own elk so I don't really want to go out and buy more. I'll have time to experiment though. They're generating on the tailwater again ... around the clock now well into the second day.

Mike

If you don't need a fly with the buoyancy of the elk hair, that is if you're fishing

fairly flat, calm water, then a Henryville special will work.

If you do need buoyancy and the water is fairly fast, you may get away with a

Humpy - I've done this and it worked.

Yeah, the Humpy is tied with hair, but the way it's tied wont give you the issues

you're having with the EHC.

I think I'll crank up a video I have of Hans Weillenman tying his CDC and Elk and see how that works out too. His method of tying down the hair may work better. Next step ... to the fly shop and buying them. :dunno: :kicking:

MIke

what i do when i have problems with the elk hair rolling on the hook is put a dab of krazy glue on the head

One thing that I have seen people do, is they don't use enough tension, and they let go of the hair before it's really secure. You should be pinching that sucker tight in your left hand, and cranking down the wraps after two loose wraps. If you have good hair, it will compact and losk in place. Another thing, is when you finish the fly, instead of doing the whip finish on top of the wing, or even underneath, take your thread, and wrap it through the remaining butts a couple at a time, then whip finish. It's harder to explain than it is to do.

Cheech

You should be pinching that sucker tight in your left hand, and cranking down the wraps after two loose wraps

Bingo Cheech nailed it Mike. I tie a bazillion of them little suckers for the au sable each year and as long as you pinch it good and do two soft loops to start (very important step) then you wont have any problems at all.

Steve

I too struggled with this pattern and the dreaded wing-roll for years. Cheech & Steeldrifter are right, but let me add one more tip. When doing those first pinch wraps (2-3 depending on hook size) you only want to apply thread tension straight down. So, that's a loose pinch wrap, bring the bobbin to the bottom position, and pull the wrap tight. Repeat 1 or 2 more times. Once you've done them, roll your finger & thumbtip back, exposing the wrap site, but still pinching the wing. Hit the previous wraps with 3 or 4 tight wraps applying even pressure all the way around the shank. I always finish the fly with whips behind the eye, not on top of the wing.

Hi there. I tie this simple variety of the Hair Caddis:

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/alcampbell/ac051004.html

I use wool yarn rather than dubbing, as the late Al Campbell does here, and I count my natural colored deer hairs -- say eight to 16 fibers -- which I then stack and tie in as shown in the link above.

Good Luck!

:)