Fly Tying

I got home today and a film crew is filming a scene for the show Numbers on my street, pic below was taken from the front of my driveway. they sure bring lots of people on scene, including extras, who had to walk across the street when the cameras were rolling... The sky was clear and blue...

post-992-1175292477_thumb.jpg

Cough, cough, Breaking News....

I started to smell smoke and figured the guys out in the road doing something, but then I realized it smelled like a brush fire. I took both of the pics below about 5 min ago from my upstairs bedroom, and the hills on the other side of Burbank are up in flames. The sunlight was at a real bad angle for taking pics, but the smoke is getting real thick. I might be able to get a cool shot just before sunset, if the wind is from the east, but for the fire, its best if the wind is from the west.

post-992-1175292488_thumb.jpg

post-992-1175292497_thumb.jpg

Wow Graham..I hope the flames stay away from your house and everyone else for that matter..

(In 2 years)

Hey guys, remember when Graham use to come around here and show off those freaking awesome flies he use to tie? Those were the good old days before he got involved with Brad Pitt, the show called Numbers and all that other Hollywood madness. I wonder if he'll remember the little people like us who made him famous. Better yet, I wonder if he'll ever come back here and fish with me! (Graham, i know we've never fished together....but this fall when you make your pilgrimage back east again to fish that nice little creek near my house, I'm going to jump in and learn a few things from you! :D )

Wow, I was just reading about the fire on the news. Then pop on here for a sec and turns out you are right in the middle of it. Hope this thing stays clear of your area. Keep us posted.

Ashby

Graham,

Am praying that the fire(s) stays well away from you. I know what it's like to be on edge from one of those things and it ain't any fun at all. We lost over 300 homes in 2003 due to a forest fire here and had close to 2/3 of the city evacuated or on immediate evacution alert. http://gallery.castanet.net/albums/Okanaga...Park+Fire+2003/

As Ashby said, please keep us posted.

Ernie

Looks like they have the fire well under control. Luckily today was not a windy day, or it would have been real bad. Even with high winds it wouldn't have spread across to my house. But I live in the hills on the other side of Burbank, and they are typically green and lush this time of year. But this year they are tinder dry. Typically we get about 15" of rain anually, almost all of it between Nov and March. This year we got 2.5" total, the driest on record. I live about one block from where the houses end and the brush begins. Every fall when the winds howl it can be real scary, fires have come close, but the mountain behind my house was spared. This year is going to be real bad for fire is SoCal, real bad. I don't recall ever having fires like this in the winter and spring before. And with the rainy season over, it might not rain again here until next November. Scary stuff.

Graham, if you live that close then you should prepare for a fire......send your tying stuff to me for safe keeping! you can visit it on weekends and holidays! ;)

Hey Oatka, I'm looking forward to meeting you this fall, and maybe you know some secret spots.... How close are you to Rochester?