Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
day5

Great lakes troling flies

Im looking for some info on trolling flies. Do any of you have any info on materials. Is it a straight up tube fly? Or is there a difference? I see some have a type of cone (not metal) where can I find materials? I cant seem to google up any.

I've always thought of classic streamers as trolling flies. My Dad and I would troll with streamers in the Adirondacks. It doesn't sound like we are talking about the same thing though.

Good Day,

Hey Matt! Any steelies lately?

I would look into researching fishing methods for Eurpoe and New Zealand. Trolling or harling are two key terms.

I remember the number of visits I have made to New Zealand and learning a bit about their trolling and harling techniques. They are quite simple really. Just tie on a streamer or large wet fly and set it out behind your boat. Start rowing... A bit over simplistic? Possibly. Depending on where the fish are in the water column, floating lines, sink tips, full sink and even lead core lines are used. Usually no more than four feet of leader material is used. Many times the leader is "split" in the middle with a barrel swivel to allow for the fly to ride propperly and not spin. Sometimes a special type of spoon tube is slid onto the leader in front of the fly called a Tasmanian Devil. (See the following link: http://www.wigstonslures.com.au/pages/range.html) Likewise, the Tasmanian Devils are sometimes used on their own as well.

From New Zealand fishing website:

Trolling

On many lakes, trolling is the most popular and productive method of fishing for trout and salmon, particularly for novices.

When trolling, a spinner-type lure or large fly is towed behind a moving boat at depth. Getting the lure down deep is achieved using a lead-core line, or a downrigger or similar device.

To ensure the lure being trolled gets to the correct depth where the fish are, a variety of types of line are used. When the fish are close to the surface all that is needed is monofilament or nylon line. When trout are deeper than two or three metres, anglers often use a lead core line or an LED (lead impregnated dacron) line to ensure the lure gets to the correct depth. Lead core line usually comes in hundred metre lengths with each 10 metres being a different colour. The general rule of thumb that is that each colour or 10 metres of line gets the lure down around 5 feet or just under 2 metres, so a fall 10 m of line out the lure should be around 50 feet below the surface.

Harling

Harling refers to the method of boat fishing in which a large wet fly or lure is towed behind a slow-moving boat - usually rowed. The lure is not allowed to sink far below the surface of the water. Harling is a popular method on lakes at change of light.

Flies are usually attached to the leader via any number of loop knots to allow for more movement of the fly.

Any type of streamer fly would be appropriate. Small to large and any materials from synthetic to natural. However, I would suggest trying to match local forage fish. For the Great Lakes I would look into perch, alewives, smelt and immatuture salmonids. Also, don't be afraid of colors like chartruese or black. There are some nice big lake flies in Matt Supinski's book Steelhead Dreams.

Steelhead Dreams Surf Flies:

post-295-1175380109_thumb.jpg

post-295-1175380202_thumb.jpg

New Zealand Tolling Flies:

post-295-1175380264_thumb.jpg

post-295-1175380301_thumb.jpg

post-295-1175380343_thumb.jpg

You also mentioned a head that did not look like a bead or metal. Could it be a Petitjean Magic Head? (http://www.petitjean.ch/eng/MagicHead/default.asp) I make my own "magic heads" by dipping the pointed end of bass popper bodies in clear Plasti-Dip for two or three coats. Ray Schmidt of Schmidt Outfitters in Wellston, Michigan showed me a cool new technique for using these heads vs. tying them onto the body. Tie 6" to 8" or leader material to the fly and a barrel swivel on the end of that. Slide a magic head onto the leader connected to your fly line with the cup facing away from the hook eye. This gives the fly a really wild action behind the cup and also helps to prevent the fly from spinning thanks to the barrel swivel. This can be hard to pick up from a distance of more than 30' out, so the rig really needs to be brought in close in order to cast.

Hope this is helpful Matt!

Steelie

giant tube flies called squids (i think they are called squids anyway) simple and effective. just a tube with 2-4 different colors of flash tied on.

These may be on the other end of the spectrum. These are used on Kootenay Lake in B.C. which, while no Great Lake is a very large body of water. Can't cast them though....well maybe you could but yell "Fore!" or something if you try. :) By the way, these were the proto-types, the actual bucktails we are using are tied with single barbless trailers. :)

IPB Image

I know these are commercial, but you'll get the idea of how to build some trolling flies. They're on tubes, and are sold either as just the tube & skirt or with the tube/skirt and a hook/bead/mono harness. These were designed on the great lakes. Here's a link to the color spectrum: http://www.rainysflies.com/pages/flies.asp...s&offset=-1

Here's a pic for a quick look:

post-1457-1176010232_thumb.jpg

giant tube flies called squids (i think they are called squids anyway) simple and effective. just a tube with 2-4 different colors of flash tied on.

Yep that is what IM looking for Here are some I made for my bro to try

post-2608-1176034587_thumb.jpg