Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Inconnu

Trumpet Popper

I know it's ugly, but if you follow the link to the tying instructions, you will see what I am after. Thanks for looking! :)

Great idea. Is that your new vise? looks sweet. This fly would be a killer on the stripers when they are surface feeding on squid. Seems like you added a lot of coats of nail polish. If the fly floats I cant see why it would not work as intended. Even on a sinking line I bet it would have great action in the water. I have had a lot of ideas with the magic heads, like you I ran out so the idas have been put on the back burner

The one thing I should have mentioned is that it would be better to tie on a leader before you put the cup on. I didn't and I needed a pair of tweezers and a curved hemostat to do it.

I think next time I would tie it on a longer shanked hook to give it a bigger deer hair body and increase the floatability of it. Possibly a foam body as an alternative. :)

Very neat idea!!! I like it!!. My one concern is i wonder what the chances of the flared deer hair over the front breaking??? it looks brittle and i wonder about the bit extending past the cup?? Does it seem like it may be a problem????

Mike

Sheesh Kerry and here I thought you were going after trout these days adn here you show up with a new popper pattern. It's a neat idea, a Hair Reinforced Plastic Cone Popper - HRPCP. That could be a whole new line of poppers especially now that I've given it a cheesy and tacky name including a n acroynym.

Garett

man if that were done in frog colors with big open mouth painted white inside.

I think you going to have to make sure your feet are strapped down cuz the fish are going to slam that thing.

However i am not a very good caster and would probably need a 20wt to cast that parachute. LOL

That's a nice pattern. I agree it would make a nice striper pattern, but around here where there are stripers there are usually bluefish, and I think they would make short work of it.

I brought a pack of the Petitjean Magic Cups and I tied up a couple flies up with the cup facing forward and tried folding them back to form a head, and I didn't like the looks of the flies so I scrapped them. I had a couple of left over and was trying to figure out what to do with them. So I settled on the idea of making a popper like you did. I made two. One a pencil popper and the other a frog popper. I can't find the pencil popper but I do have the frog popper. For the frog popper I tied in a bunch of artificial hair and split it to form the legs. I slide the cup back far enough on the hook shank so the eye was outside the edge of the cup. Then I slide a piece of E-Z body tubing over the cup, and tied it down at the back of the hook, then pulled it tight against the cup, and used Zap-A-Gap to secure it against the cup, holding it tight till it set. Then I wrapped a piece of sili skin around to seal the tubing. Used permanent markers to make it look like a frog, added eyes and coated it with a flexible clear varnish. It's a permanent arrangement. I'll see if I can take a decent picture of it and post it up tomorrow.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback. Mike the deer hair is actually trimmed even with the edge of the cup. It looks like it extends well past it because I tried painting the cone, didn't like it and went back to red.

Castability will be similar to any larger popper I suspect, though really it was designed for bass more than toothy critters like pike and blues, so you shouldn't need to make long casts with it.

Philly I would appreciate it if you could post your picture, as I said I am looking for feedback and ideas on incorporating the cups into a pattern instead of adding them on later. I'm going to check the floatability of the thing today as well. Thanks again for all of your input....Kerry :)

Well I had to try the bathtub test since there is no open water around here. The thing floats very well. There is quite alot of deer hair around the cup, which may give it the extra floatability....note to myself, ask wife to get out first??!!

Philly did you do some pictures of the pattern you mention here? :)